Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I go past the bottom end of the Cut every day for work.. Before the renovation started, I remember wondering "what if somebody did something with this"? Then when I saw the construction setting up at Jefferson/st. aubin I silently wondered "um, okay, now what?" I didn't even find out that this is what all the construction was for until a few weeks ago.. more greenways in various forms are needed in the city..

The writer is definitely complaining about spilled milk. I agree with ProfessorScott when he talks about seeing the big picture. Imagine that this little "greenway" becomes very popular and is further extended north of Gratiot. More people may want to live near it because of its unobstructed route to the riverfront. As a result you get more residential developments along the cut.

Some of these residential units would most clearly be built in Eastern Market. However, imagine small residential buildings built along the east side of the Dequindre Cut where St. Aubin Street currently runs as a six-lane street with a median. Imagine eliminating the median and the west side lanes to build these residential buildings, connecting them to the "cut" via addition ramps and/or stairs. The street would be narrowed to four lanes. Also, think about the potential to redevelop the old Joe Muer's site on Gratiot into residential units. Tenants would have a straight shot to the cut.

IMHO the Dequindre Cut, as it is now, will do more for Detroit then it did in its previous incarnation after the commuter train stopped running. To bad the writer in the Metro Times couldn't see its benefit. Oh well, her loss.

Is there still wildlife at 32 mile? I thought it would be half empty strip malls & parking lots by now.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Folks, please be kind to Barbara. She is just a little nostalgic for the old days, when she and East Side Sasquatch would have a lover's tryst while sharing a few bottles of Red Ripple Wine under the waving ailanthus trees. Alas, now Big Foot has moved on, since his habitat has been destroyed.

DetroitDad Guest

Apparently she was a little late to complain about Wildlife destruction at 12, 22, and 32 Mile Road, so now she's trying to bring it into the city. This whole situation just seems bizarre to me. People are moving to inner city Detroit for the country life that was destroyed by the suburbs now.

Hey, how about that price of gas? Wow, $2.75!? Yeah, the suburbs an car culture is here to stay all right, suburbanites will NEVER choose regressive density where they can walk, bike, and roller blade, over car culture.

HAPPY MOTORING!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2