Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Cyprus. My daughter cried when we saw the "Goodby to our loyal customers" note on the door after they closed unannounced, Even more heartbreaking because of the hole in the ground [[literally) that used to be Hellas.

Hellas, even though I stopped going there once I discovered Cyprus

Baile Corcaigh

Sizzle n Spice

Franklin Street Brewing Co.

Il Centro

Van Dyke Place

Alliette's

Cardinali's

London Chop House

Rocky's on 6 Mile
    Venice Bar on Puritan
    Lelli's
    Wah Court in Windsor
    Rivertown Saloon for buffalo wings
    Topinka's on WGB
    And finally, the Flaming Embers on Woodward & GCP where you could watch your steak being grilled right before your very eyes and think you were the most sophisticated person in town.
    Normandy #1 on WGB
    Normandy #2 on Second

Slows- awful service, ridiculous wait, horrible parking

Yes, the barbecue is excellent, but I find Union Woodshop and Lockhardt's to be very competitive.

milt721
    Eastsiders: Sabre Lancer and/or Club 500.
    ha. wow. that brings back memories of every little league/travel team/high school sports banquet dinner ever.

Farrell's was weird. Was I the only one who thought Farrell's was weird? Staff dressed up in "gay nineties" pinstripes and fake boaters? I would go, if they were still around today, just to take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Anybody remember Samual Brothers Cafeteria at Eastern Market? Best corned beef hash and cheese blintzes! A tiny spot crammed with tiny tables and great food.
    I remember it very well, I still see Ira Samuals on occasion.

Chuck Joseph's I think they were located around Rosedale Park area. Then they moved to 12 mile and Greenfield. Loved the fried kibbee balls and the garlic butter. Oh, and the best darn frog legs ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Farrell's was weird. Was I the only one who thought Farrell's was weird? Staff dressed up in "gay nineties" pinstripes and fake boaters? I would go, if they were still around today, just to take photos.
    My sister lives near a Farrels in Orange County CA. I took my niece to the mall and saw it accross the food court. I thoughly embarassed a 10 year old by making a scene in the mall about going to it. She was mortified by me racing across the food court screaming like Eddie Murphy... "I'm going to Farrells! gunna get some Ice Cream! and you can't have none!"

Sadly there was something about the experience that seemed cold and not anywhere near as fun as the old Farrels experience.

The Utica Big Boy at Van Dyke and 21 Mile Rd.

They opened in the mid 1950s and used to have speakers in the parking lot so hotrodders could order from their ride and have their food delivered by car hop.

They closed—today.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Eastsiders: Sabre Lancer and/or Club 500.
    i remember them as well but there also was a barbeque joint down the street that was also good but can't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    My sister lives near a Farrels in Orange County CA. I took my niece to the mall and saw it accross the food court. I thoughly embarassed a 10 year old by making a scene in the mall about going to it. She was mortified by me racing across the food court screaming like Eddie Murphy... "I'm going to Farrells! gunna get some Ice Cream! and you can't have none!"

Sadly there was something about the experience that seemed cold and not anywhere near as fun as the old Farrels experience.
    Haha. Thanks for sharing, DP. Nice to know they're still out there, if only a pale imitation of the old days.

Venice Bar on Puritan
    Neighbors of ours used to cook there, Fanny and Butch. Both long gone now, and missed.

Buscemi's on Gratiot in East Det...errr...Eastpointe...until they had that murder there a few years back and the surrounding neighborhood went to shit.

Funny how so many want faster service at a place called Slows. I wonder if any of these same people camp out over night for concert/sports tickets or the latest iphone.

Default Wait times at GG

[QUOTE=East Detroit;261962]Have any places that you used to like to go but now have changed?

Good Girls Go To Paris... used to love stopping by on the way to Tigers Games when she had the stand/window. Now that they have expanded, the Park Shelton location tells people 45 minutes+ to wait for a crepe while the two girls seem confused how to make crepes and the ironically bored hipsters sitting inside stare into the abyss. Worse if you dont have an hour for crepes and you were expecting to get parking validated.

Hello, This is Torya from GG.
    I am not even going create the illusion that there is not a wait for crepes on a Saturday. There's usually a wait on Saturdays It's usually busier than sin and I apologize for your wait. We try to keep the wait down to a minimum. Usually, it is busy on the weekend and there is a 15 min or less wait during lunch during the week. If there's a wait during a crazy busy time, I apologize, but I have to say something on this forum when someone insults my employees and my customers.
    I take great pride in my employees. They are very loyal, hardworking and doing their best to get the crepes out as quickly as possible. These girls could make crepes in their sleep. To say that they are "confused" is wrong. East Detroit, I don't know you and maybe I will never know who you are because your name isn't listed, but it's easy as "East Detroit", to speak negatively about my employees and my customers. Calling my customers "ironically, bored hipsters" isn't fair. My customers are all over the map. Young, old, all spectrums of people from the Metro area are my customers. It's one thing to say that you are frustrated with the wait, but why insult people?
    On a lighter note, world, could we all collectively stop mocking hipsters? Please? As a person who works hard like a "you-know-what" everyday, I don't have time to worry about what the hell someone is wearing, driving, reading, wearing as eyewear, being "ironically bored about". Whooooocareeeees? Mocking hipsters is reminds me of when my mother told me she got on facebook. Like, don't you have other things to worry about? Like, aren't we too old for this sort of thing.....

Torya, many months ago I read that you have plans to open a place in Hamtramck.
    How is that coming along?

Like a "you-know-what"?

???

And a heartfelt sigh for Piper's Alley in the Detroit Cornice and Slate Bldg.

GUSHI Guest

Genies weanies

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The Utica Big Boy at Van Dyke and 21 Mile Rd.

They opened in the mid 1950s and used to have speakers in the parking lot so hotrodders could order from their ride and have their food delivered by car hop.

They closed—today.
    No shit! Used to go there after the football games...well at least the members of the marching band would.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The Utica Big Boy at Van Dyke and 21 Mile Rd....

They closed—today.
    No shit! Used to go there after the football games...well at least the members of the marching band would.
    Yes, they were only a few blocks from Utica High. A 60-year tradition poof! up in smoke. No one could believe it. In disbelief I drove by early this afternoon and sure enough the parking lot was empty except for a few managers' cars.

Rumor is that they were bought out. I have no idea by whom. It's a high-visibility, heavy-traffic location with a loyal clientele so I imagine the price was high.

The sad thing is not knowing whether you'll ever see any of the regulars or staff again. Great waitstaff. Not a bad one in the bunch.

A big thank you to Joe, Carol, Kim, Kathleen, Fibi, Casey, Susie, Girl Shawn, Boy Sean, Glen, Niki, Alma and Kevin. I'll take a "Jim's breakfast" to go.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-01-11 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    We forgetting ice cream sundaes at Sanders?
    My favorite was the one on Houston-Whittier, next door to the Kresgees.
    Yes, my mother would always take me there. For little kids, they had a contraption with a metal strap that hooked over the width of the counter and gave you a little metal box at the proper height for you to have a soda or a sundae while sitting on the counter stool.

Not to mention that most Kresgees, Woolworths, and Neissners "five and dimes" would usually have a lunch counter along one wall with sandwiches [[the toasted BLT was great) and ice cream.

All Cunninghams and a lot of other drug stores also had "soda counters" with ice cream, sundaes, sodas, and cokes.

As long as we are going out of town [[Utica) we should mention Ed & Maries out on the Dyke Road [[M-29) between Fair Haven and Pte Tremble. Food was bland, but wholsome and in very large portions. Marie did the cooking and Ed did the table waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    As long as we are going out of town [[Utica) we should mention Ed & Maries out on the Dyke Road [[M-29) between Fair Haven and Pte Tremble. Food was bland, but wholsome and in very large portions. Marie did the cooking and Ed did the table waiting.
    Bland is OK as long as they pile it up eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Torya, many months ago I read that you have plans to open a place in Hamtramck.
    How is that coming along?
    I think it was early June Model D wrote about Ootie's. It should be open this month. It wasn't "many months" ago. This summer is flying by....I don't know how many people on here have restuarants or have opened restuarants,but it is an understatement to say it is a lot of work and I am pretty much opening. Rodin, Ootie's, GG Grosse Pointe at the same time. It just happened to work out that way.
    When I said that I have been working "like a you-know-what", maybe I should have said working like a slave to clear up any confusion,ha!
    I'll be at Eastern Market tomorrow crepeing it up, so everyone pop on by.
    Onward.

Greenfields Cafeteria
    Hudson's Mezzanine
    Rathskeller
    Carl's Chop House
    Chin Tiki
    Victor Lims
    Flaming Embers
    La Lanterna
    Chungs
    Forbidden City
    Big Boy's when it was a drive in