Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    It's still there, serving the best round pizza. It started in 1956 across the street where the Red Coat is now located.
    Good to hear. Cloverleaf on Gratiot in Eastpointe used to have really good pizza too.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 7 & Van Dyke View Post
    Good to hear. Cloverleaf on Gratiot in Eastpointe used to have really good pizza too.
    Still does. Still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post

Turtle Soup in Greektown.
    Do you mean Turtle Soup Inn on 6 Mile just east of Conant?

I find it funny that people here will bitch about waiting at Slow's, but think nothing of waiting 45 minutes or longer at chain joints like Olive Garden, Chile's, and Applebee's out in the burbs. It is equally idiotic when folks here will complain about so called hipsters hanging around, but, after all this is DY where some constantly emit a smug sense of arrogance.

Telway Burgers. Is the one on 8 Mile and Van Dyke still there? Used to hit that place up after a night at the bar.

@ 7&VanDyke - the Telway on Michigan Ave & Martin is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I find it funny that people here will bitch about waiting at Slow's, but think nothing of waiting 45 minutes or longer at chain joints like Olive Garden, Chile's, and Applebee's out in the burbs. It is equally idiotic when folks here will complain about so called hipsters hanging around, but, after all this is DY where some constantly emit a smug sense of arrogance.
    How do you know that these are the same people who do not have a problem waiting at Olive Garden, Applebees, etc? I would suspect that they have the same issue waiting. Seems awfully presumptuous and maybe even a bit smug.......

bartock Guest

Yes I'm sure DNerd will tell you that he has no problems waiting more than 45 minutes for restaurants in the suburbs such as Applebee's. That's pretty much his M.O. A very suburban-centeric celebrator of the interchangeable menus and atomospheres of those places you, not to mention the scenic drives up the freeway to get there DNerd often speaks of fondly.

I'm going to go out on two limbs; first, the people bitching about waiting at Slow's are probably from the suburbs; second, the vast majority of hungry people are not exactly thrilled about waiting more than an hour to be sat, whether it be for BBQ or an endless bowl of pasta.

at least at Slows they don't insult you while you wait with beers such as Budweiser and Coors... the selection of beer makes the wait tolerable.....

hey, the food is good but really, nothing to wait 2 hours for. maybe they lack kitchen or managerial organization. this isn't the only place where i've heard negatitive comments.

bartock Guest

I meant to say that most people who go to Slows - those bitching and those not bitching about the waits - are from the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I'm going to go out on two limbs; first, the people bitching about waiting at Slow's are probably from the suburbs.
    With that statement, you just pretty much repeated what I said.

And I was speaking in general about all the people here bitching, not any one specific post.

bartock Guest

With that statement, you just pretty much repeated what I said.

And I was speaking in general about all the people here bitching, not any one specific post.
    Man I tried to correct that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    hey, the food is good but really, nothing to wait 2 hours for. maybe they lack kitchen or managerial organization. this isn't the only place where i've heard negatitive comments.

Why do you think it's called Slow's....

Tasty Bar BQ
    Checker Bar BQ
    Ponchartrain Wine Cellar
    Midtown Cafe
    The Old Mill

Someone said Mr. Mikes. I used to go there too some years ago and their food and atmosphere was really good. I stopped going because everytime i went, someone would have to drive me home. I would only have a few drinks but they were so strong that by the time they caught up with me, i couldn't even walk the few blocks home. I'm definitly NOT bitching about it, I just know what kind of trouble I can get myself into

Why are people getting into a tizzy about mentioning hipsters? I didn't see anyone post anything particularly negative about them. Maybe some people just like going to places with different types of folks present instead of one particular culture. I wouldn't get offended if someone said they didn't want to hang out in a biker bar or a hiphop joint if i liked those kind of places. Maybe it's just not everyones cup of tea. Not everyone wants to hang around hipsters, so sue em.

I live up the street and still wouldn't wait longer than a half hour [[on a busy night) to go into a place to eat.

That includes any chain suburb restaurant I'm too good to patronize, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Why do you think it's called Slow's....
    maybe they need a few tips from this guy.

I don't particularly mind the wait at Slow's, and I'd never let a clientele sway my opinion of a place, but I just don't much enjoy their food.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I don't particularly mind the wait at Slow's, and I'd never let a clientele sway my opinion of a place, but I just don't much enjoy their food.
    This is how I feel. I can wander off into oblivion and forget all about the fact that I am waiting if the food is actually good but I have been disappointed by Slow's time and time again. I especially do not like their chicken. Perhaps I am just spoiled by the abundance of good BBQ available to me while I was growing up down South.

And what bothers me more is the fact that whenever anyone I know wants to go out to eat in Detroit, they want to eat at Slow's. It gets really annoying after a while because that place is way too expensive for someone as broke as I am and the price does not justify the meal, IMO. I try and try to convince people to check out more worthy establishments, but they quietly refuse.

I believe somebody mentioned D'Mongo's earlier. I like this place. The clientele never bothers me. Then, I prefer to get there close to opening, have dinner & a couple drinks, and then head home before the crowds arrive. I realize that makes me sound old and not much fun.

I guess I shouldn't be on this thread too. I stopped going to restaurants ten years ago. [[After shitty service). It came to the point - could I do better? Yes - I could cook an egg better, and bring it hot. And not act like it's a waste of my life to serve others.

To this day, I hold open doors for other people, thank store employees for crappy service, and endure automated crap for real people on the phone. Yes - give me anything but MUMBAI, the gateway for asshole Americans.

The Old Place in GP. Lums and The Hungry Penguin.

Golden Lion on corner of Mack and Moross [[currently a Walgreens), don't remember a lot about it but do remember going with my grandparents

Golden Budda on Harper - loved this place, sad everytime I drive by.......

I forgot one: Courthouse Brasserie.

One of those great places where the chef, the waiter and the owner is the same person.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast