Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Southern Fires has the best Fried Chicken in the City of Detroit...4 pieces 3 sides with real cornbread all for under under $10.00 you will need a carry out container. Beware of the Sweet Tea if you don't want to OD on sugar.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-01-11 at 10:19 PM.

Gotta make the drive to Port Huron, Chicken in the Ruff is da' best!

The chicken at Chicken Shack is pretty good, but I have a hard time passing up on the cod dinner.
    Those broasted potatoes drowning in butter are fantastic.
    The ribs are excellent also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Actually Lee's Famous Recipe is a variation of the Colonel Sanders recipe. Lee Cummings is the nephew of Colonel Sanders. He went on the road with his uncle selling spice mix [[KFC secret recipe) and pressure cookers in 1952.The rest is history. I'm not a big fan of either of those over-spiced brands. They are both too greasy as well. I think both are lucky not have to compete with Chicken Shack nation wide. Their chicken is far superior...
    I did not know that. I thought Lee's in Plymouth was a stand-alone "mom and pop" shop. Did not know it was a franchise, and I did not know the Colonel had a nephew in the business at some point.

At any rate, Lee's chicken blows away KFC in my opinion.

Yeah I was fibbing to say I don't enjoy a piece of Lee's or KFC every now and again. They are both unique. The Colonel[[and his buckets) are unmistakable Americana though, don't forget that. His commercial's were genius.Dave Thomas was kind of like that with Wendy's too. Remember you didn't know who the owner of Lee's was, let alone that it was Sander's nephew.

To take it a step further you could say the Colonel is largely responsible for the success of Dave Thomas. It was on a trip to the Hobby House in Fort Wayne, Indiana to sell and promote his Chicken fryer's and mix where he met an employee named Dave Thomas. Dave ran and then owned several KFC's before starting Wendy's. Sander's gave him a sweetheart deal on the franchises after successfully running multiple locations for him. Makes sense when you think about Dave being in his own commercials. Sander's left his mark.

KFC and Lee's wil leave you with some serious GUT-ROT. IMO
    Last edited by Dbest; August-02-11 at 09:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2