Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

I think your just anti-catholic, personally

I love how there's anti-Catholicism still around. It makes me even more proud that I am a Catholic. I mean who's anti-Catholic anymore? It's just as taboo as being anti-Semitic. It's just unfortunate that Meddle still thinks it's "cool" or "fun" to jab the RCC.

Maybe I should've started the, "How do you feel about the catholic church," thread instead.

But I didn't, so, moving on....

Steve bennet Guest

It's hilarious that people are putting down the strip clubs while actually defending the Catholic church.

Not even bringing up the child screwing thing, the Catholic Church has a far more prosperous and prestigious record through history of murder, torture, hatred, and bigotry, all while standing in the way of human intellectual progress as much as possible with all the other dumb religions.

Also, strip clubs pay taxes. So I'll take them in my community over some tax exempt organization that pumps more dangerous information into your kids brain than some skanky dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I love how there's anti-Catholicism still around. It makes me even more proud that I am a Catholic. I mean who's anti-Catholic anymore? It's just as taboo as being anti-Semitic. It's just unfortunate that Meddle still thinks it's "cool" or "fun" to jab the RCC.
    Really? Catholicism thought it was pretty cool and fun to burn Jews, Atheists and anyone else they considered heretics at the stake. Glad your fucking proud.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    It's hilarious that people are putting down the strip clubs while actually defending the Catholic church.

Not even bringing up the child screwing thing, the Catholic Church has a far more prosperous and prestigious record through history of murder, torture, hatred, and bigotry, all while standing in the way of human intellectual progress as much as possible with all the other dumb religions.

Also, strip clubs pay taxes. So I'll take them in my community over some tax exempt organization that pumps more dangerous information into your kids brain than some skanky dancers.
    It seems pretty clear that the anti-Catholic sentiments in this thread are really anti-organized religion. Is that fair? If not, I'd be curious as to what religion[[s) those slamming the Catholic church subscribe to.

The girls and women of Salem were burned too - in the U.S. And not by Catholics. The Quakers of England were burned. Not by Catholics. The guy who executed those children last week came from a very secular society just a out free of religious tenants. Certainly not Catholic.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Really? Catholicism thought it was pretty cool and fun to burn Jews, Atheists and anyone else they considered heretics at the stake. Glad your fucking proud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism.

There's one for every group. Just type in "anti-" and hit search. I'd challenge you to find one group that hasn't been on both sides at one point in time or another.

what state/local ordinances, if any, exist regarding such signage on businesses?

Default Not much to see here

I drove by that club this morning. Looks like there are a few large, poster sized pictures of women in cocktail dresses. Not half naked, and not very large at all. I've seen much racier billboards on the highway.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    It seems pretty clear that the anti-Catholic sentiments in this thread are really anti-organized religion. Is that fair? If not, I'd be curious as to what religion[[s) those slamming the Catholic church subscribe to.
    For me personally, I think every religion is equally dumb, Catholics and Christians are just easy targets because the fairy tales they believe in are so absurd. Maybe if they weren't tax exempt I could tolerate them a little more. Who knows.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    For me personally, I think every religion is equally dumb, Catholics and Christians are just easy targets because the fairy tales they believe in are so absurd. Maybe if they weren't tax exempt I could tolerate them a little more. Who knows.
    Fair enough.

Only on DY could a thread about topless clubs turn into an anti-Catholic rant. It's sad some people have so much hatred towards Catholics in this day and age but then again we've only had one president of that faith ever.

As far as the strip clubs go, I think people who have issues with them should consider putting that energy to use by sweeping the cub in front of their house, planting some flowers around their property, volunteering with the neighborhood watch, mentoring the kids with no parental supervision, and taking on the local drug houses.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It's sad some people have so much hatred towards Catholics in this day and age but then again we've only had one president of that faith ever.
    Well, the Catholic Church brought this hatred upon themselves by their own close-mindedness and borderline hatred of other groups of people THEY don't agree with.

So I really don't feel bad for them.

I was reading about Gabriel Richard today on the excellent The Night Train blog:
    Father Richard may be one of Detroit’s all-time most adored citizens. [[I have read that Detroiters threw a huge birthday party for him as late as the 1930s.) Detroit was still a backwater frontier town when Richard arrived. When he died — a victim of the cholera epidemic of 1832 — he had founded Detroit’s first schools and its first printed newspaper; he’d shipped in its first printing press and hauled in its first organ on horseback. At the first public meeting of the Northwest territorial council in 1824, Father Richard opened the session with a prayer that “the legislators may make laws for the people, and not for themselves.”
    Detroit’s founding Father cut a funny figure in town: be-robed and be-spectacled with a thick French accent, a sword scar on his face, a mighty intellect and a gentle demeanor. During the Great Fire of 1805, Richard recruited a heroic relief effort:
    As usual, Father Gabriel Richard came to the rescue. He walked down the road to some of the farmhouses and soon had a group of French farmers in their canoes and bateaux going along the shore and asking for food for the fire sufferers. As soon as the canoes returned, a meal was cooked, and some of the men rigged up temporary shelters, using the fallen posts of the stockade. [[Marsh, A History of Detroit for Young People)
    And then, of course, Father Richard penned the fire-inspired motto that still lifts the hearts of long-suffering Detroiters: Speramus meliora; resurget cinerbus. We hope for better things; It shall rise from the ashes.
    Legend even has it that when Father Richard was captured during the War of 1812, Tecumseh — the tribal confederacy leader who was fighting against America with the British — ordered his forces to stop cooperating until Richard’s release was secured.
    Attendance at Father Richard’s funeral exceeded the population of Detroit. General Friend Palmer was in attendance. In his memoirs he wrote:
    It was said that Father Richard was so studious and patient in his search after knowledge that he actually counted the eggs in a whitefish. How many millions, history fails to tell.

I have to say that I think only the most ignorant and uneducated people hate Catholics. Only uneducated people think thatCcatholics are close-minded and have a 'borderline hatred for other groups of people THEY don't agree with."

Those who preach their anti-Catholic rants are, no doubt, the ones who announce the loudest how they are not prejudiced and accept everyone.

DetroitPole Guest

This is really getting out of control.

I can think of very few, if any, religions that are not guilty of justifying or being used to justify great atrocities. I can also think of none that don't have silly beliefs and rituals. So the Catholic Church is not alone in those things. Would you haters out there also argue Islam is evil because of terrorism? Or what about Protestantism, because of the likes of Jimmy Swaggart, the KKK, or that famous rabid anti-Semite Martin Luther? What about the Orthodox Christians, who collaborated with the Soviets? Is Judiasm to be hated and reviled because of Israel's misdeeds?

Don't try the atheism card either. I respect non-belief and non-believers perhaps more than most believers, but hateful, evil people who happen to be atheists committed misdeeds as well. Stalinist Bureaucracy was essentially atheism with religious trappings, complete with ritual and pomp and saviors.

So your vitriolic hatred amounts to little more than bigotry. Perhaps you should join the KKK or start another Know-Nothings party - both famous for their anti-Catholicism. The US sadly has a strong history of anti-Catholicism.

And here are some CATHOLICS who are doing more good things for Detroit than you bigots ever will:
    http://www.dlcliteracy.org/
    http://www.cskdetroit.org/
    http://www.dayhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Those who preach their anti-Catholic rants are, no doubt, the ones who announce the loudest how they are not prejudiced and accept everyone.
    I'm not Catholic... but I agree with you Detroitej72.... methinks they doth protest too much. Historically abuse has been a problem everywhere... not just the church.... schools, hospitals, and of course... especially the home...

Catholicism is a choice, like all religion. Discrimination against a choice is a much different beast than against any genetic makeup.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I have to say that I think only the most ignorant and uneducated people hate Catholics. Only uneducated people think thatCcatholics are close-minded and have a 'borderline hatred for other groups of people THEY don't agree with."
    Really? So it two gay people wanted to get married in a Catholic church, they would allow it with open arms?

No. But put your logical hat on - does a committment to the biblical description of marriage [[a man and a woman) equate to hatred of gay people? No. And, for one, St. Anselm of Canterbury was certainly gay and no one makes any bones about it.

Steve bennet Guest

So one group of people can get married, but another group can't? That sounds very excepting.......

You are parsing. "Excepting" is not hating.

3 pages of posts, and I haven't seen more than a dozen of them relating to my original question. WHAT OPTIONS DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE.

It's their neighborhood. People from both Detroit and Hazel Park have to deal with this. They don't want the signs there. Cocktail dresses to one look like lingerie to another apparently.

I'm trying to tap into some intellectualism here. Not the usual lame ass banter. Damn threadjackers...

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Catholicism is a choice, like all religion. Discrimination against a choice is a much different beast than against any genetic makeup.
    sucking a dick is a choice, but lord help the catholic that finds this behavior repulsive...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast