Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'd hate to see this turn into a huge debate [[think food trucks) but just my opinion

" A water park isn't going to change how they are raised, or who they hang out with."

Now I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that chandler park is the sole entity keeping society from completely imploding but I do think these things are cumulative. I mean really the same argument can be made for schools and to a lesser extent libraries etc. Good parenting is the million dollar variable.

So many kids on the east side [[well much of detroit) have to deal with a lot more bs than I did growing up in the burbs. Between schools closing and all those other detroit issues it just seems unspeakable to me that out of all the parks to trim money from in wayne county is has to be one of the few recreation venues these kids have.

Just a matter of priorities.... 1.4 million is being spent on improvements alone at elizabeth park this year. Now i grew up going there but would much rather see that kind of money to keep chandler open.

You are all missing the point. Ficano's goal is to privatize the park and everything else. Threatening to close it makes that so much easier. Guess who will get a fat, no bid contract to run it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Here's a list of the parks operated by Wayne County. All of them, except Chandler Park, are outside the city of Detroit, which must be just a coincidence. I assume all of them, except Chandler Park, are huge money-makers and require no tax dollars to maintain. Otherwise Ficano would threaten to shut all of them down too, right? Sheesh.

http://www.waynecounty.com/dps/dps_p..._pickapark.htm
    Another reason for Detroit to secede from Wayne County.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Sell it to a private entity and let them run it.

Should government be in the water park business?
    Then why do Wayne Co. residents pay for a parks and rec department?

Let's just send all of the children to Bob Ficano's house to use HIS pool.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Wow, a water park is the only thing standing between society and total chaos? Holy cow we need a water park on every street corner! Seriously, you think kids wake up in the morning and say to themselves "Gee, I could go out and knock over a liquor store... nah I'll just go to the water park instead." Kids who are going to start trouble are going to start trouble. A water park isn't going to change how they are raised, or who they hang out with.
    I think we do. Isn't it called a fire hydrant with a tire slung around it?

I don't know how much fun they have at this water park, but kids seem to have an absolute blast with the hydrant and tire set up.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Wow, a water park is the only thing standing between society and total chaos? Holy cow we need a water park on every street corner! Seriously, you think kids wake up in the morning and say to themselves "Gee, I could go out and knock over a liquor store... nah I'll just go to the water park instead." Kids who are going to start trouble are going to start trouble. A water park isn't going to change how they are raised, or who they hang out with.
    Boy, things are that black and white for you? I don't think most people would literally construe that a water park is going to save at risk children. As another poster brought up, there are infinite variables. However if you make things as difficult and unbearable as possible for children and leave them with no place to go, they almost certainly will cause trouble. Not to mention this park provides some opportunity for physical activity in an obese and unhealthy city - and healthy bodies make for healthy minds. If you're talking about who they hang out with, they're likely to make nicer friends at the water park than in alleys and outside liquor stores.
    Maybe you don't see this kind of stuff everyday but I do. Pretty nice kids but bored stupid. They become destructive.
    I'm saying at least give these kids a fighting chance. Not that a bloody water park is the magic bullet. Good Lord.

Government-funded water parks are a constitutional right. Its the 74th Amendment.

This is part of Ficano's recommended budget. The Wayne County Commission will have the final say. Everyone that supports keeping it operating needs to contact their commissioner voicing that support.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Government-funded water parks are a constitutional right. Its the 74th Amendment.
    Are you arguing that the government shouldn't do anything not specifically enumerated in the Constitution?

So I guess you have no problem with the government tearing out the roadways, and shutting down the schools, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Are you arguing that the government shouldn't do anything not specifically enumerated in the Constitution?

So I guess you have no problem with the government tearing out the roadways, and shutting down the schools, correct?
    No, I'm just pointing out that waterparks, while nice, are not something that must be provided. Same as municipal golf courses, nature centers, etc. I'd have no real complaint if Oakland County closed or sold off their waterparks either, they have more tasks [[like roads) and if the waterparks are consuming too much budget then let them be run by private companies. Or we can have government-run bowling alleys, movie theaters, nightclubs, restaurants, grocery stores, car companies...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Since waterparks, transportation, and education are all equally important to a developed society?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    No, I'm just pointing out that waterparks, while nice, are not something that must be provided. Same as municipal golf courses, nature centers, etc. I'd have no real complaint if Oakland County closed or sold off their waterparks either, they have more tasks [[like roads) and if the waterparks are consuming too much budget then let them be run by private companies. Or we can have government-run bowling alleys, movie theaters, nightclubs, restaurants, grocery stores, car companies...
    But the complaint is that the pain isn't being shared fairly, not that water parks are a birthright. Wayne County operates only one park in the city of Detroit out of 11 Wayne County parks across the county. Yet, Detroit accounts for roughly 40% of Wayne County's population.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Since waterparks, transportation, and education are all equally important to a developed society?
    No, they aren't, which is both obvious and irrelevent. What's your point again?

Are people really this dense on this forum? There is something called 'QUALITY OF LIFE", in which person is raised. I am really starting to get fed up with the me,me,me attitude. You cant always hide behind some political rhetoric about economics as your reason for being so negative regarding humanitarian affairs. ...This place we live, its called a SOCIETY, not an ECONOMY.
    Last edited by Dbest; July-22-11 at 11:44 AM.

Ah, I love justification....

A friend of mine works at an apartment complex in Southfield managing a pool for the residents and he said yesterday was horrid... too many people so he had to give them stand-by options to wait until others got out of pool. He was all but cursed out! Folks were upset and they were trying to sneak in non-residents who cursed and carried on the most.

Me, I am never so hot to even want to get into a crowded swimming pool and it's crazy to justify actions like that. I suppose everyone's gotten wind of the news article suggesting that civil unrest is cool if pools are not available. Yeah right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Are people really this dense on this forum? There is something called 'QUALITY OF LIFE", in which person is raised. I am really starting to get fed up with the me,me,me attitude. You cant always hide behind some political rhetoric about economics as your reason for being unhumanitarian. You have and always will be exposed...

You wouldn't want go swim in pool that was filled with people huh? It's called sharing dude. They are usually busy when its hot out[[best time to swim). Maybe you have your own pool to swim in at home. Don't ever have to share with people you don't approve of for whatever reason huh? Who cares about a pool in Southfield? Is Southfield the same as Detroit? Your leverage is worthless. You aren't very intelligent like most of your contingent.. 2600 brainless posts and counting for Zacha... Everybody give him a big hand and tell him thanks for continually wasting peoples time....
    Last edited by Dbest; July-22-11 at 12:00 PM.

You aren't very intelligent like most of your contingent.. 2200 brainless posts and counting Zacha...
    This from the NOOB [[yeah I hate that name too). You just jump in with the name calling? Were you banned from the Freep ?
    Attachment 10233

I worked at a city pool in an impoverished inner city area. The pool and water recreation is the BIGGEST highlight of the kids summer. Also a great babysitter for parents who would drop their children all day. Which was typical. I would rather have them at the pool having fun than in possible harms way hanging out in the hood any day though. This is also an oppurtunity for alot of these kids to escape there tough surroundings and sometimes gang pressure or what not.... They can put their guard down in city limits and just be KIDS! They cant even do that at school. These pools/waterparks are some of the most peaceful environments that many of these people will experience during the year. Most will not experience vacation trips to other places. So that pool is IT! Everybody is happy, sharing[[pool), and relaxed. Detroit needs to facilitate these places in any way possible.

You his partner Bigb? I have been reading this board and have been a member longer than you I'm sure. You show up on this thread and contribute nothing[[surprise!) but some stupid joke about the freep comments you obviously read/post daily. I expressed my views on the topic, did you? No you didn't, you want to attack me when you haven't contributed anything. You are a troll

I worked at a city pool in an impoverished inner city area. The pool and water recreation is the BIGGEST highlight of the kids summer. Also a great babysitter for parents who would drop their children all day. Which was typical. I would rather have them at the pool having fun than in possible harms way hanging out in the hood any day though. This is also an oppurtunity for alot of these kids to escape there tough surroundings and sometimes gang pressure or what not.... They can put their guard down in city limits and just be KIDS! They cant even do that at school. These pools/waterparks are some of the most peaceful environments that many of these people will experience during the year. Most will not experience vacation trips to other places. So that pool is IT! Everybody is happy, sharing[[pool), and relaxed. Detroit needs to facilitate these places in any way possible.
    I have no problem with this post - but you really seem to have an anger problem. The hope of most forums is to have an intelligent discussion, and not an in your face shouting match. I stay out of discussions where I have no expertise. Most people here will vouch for that.

You his partner Bigb? I have been reading this board and have been a member longer than you I'm sure. You show up on this thread and contribute nothing[[surprise!) but some stupid joke about the freep comments you obviously read/post daily. I expressed my views on the topic, did you? No you didn't, you want to attack me when you haven't contributed anything. You are a troll

Wow.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-22-11 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I read this this morning and I have to ask: If you close up the community centers and parks like this water park, what do you expect the children to do with no where to go?
    Walks the streets...looking for trouble.

I agree.

Keep the Water Park and sell it entirely or sell the management, operations and maintenance to a private entity.

This. Yeah, yeah, budget cuts, yeah, tax dollars, yada yada yada. Maybe I'm reacting too emotionally, what with this story coming closely on the heels of the Grosse Pointe School Board thumbing their noses at Head Start [[http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Grosse-Pointe), but the underlying sentiment that's driving me mad is this idea that poor kids don't deserve any of the things that our supposedly civilized society hands to kids from wealthier areas.
    "Your parents are broke and irresponsible, so you don't deserve a decent education. You live in a ratty rental in a ratty neighborhood, so you don't deserve a pool to play in. You're surrounded by no-good criminals, so you don't deserve police protection. Your family eats junk food paid for with a Bridge card, so you don't deserve grocery stores. MY kids deserve these things because they were born in Grosse Pointe and we have a nice house and pay more taxes than your parents do, and it won't be my problem when you turn into a street thug because I won't go anywhere near your neighborhood and you can't come into mine."
    Point fingers at the grownups if you must, but when did "fiscal responsibility" turn into "let's make their kids suffer"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast