Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kevyn Orr at Wayne State Law School

Any other DetroitYESers here? It's getting pretty crowded. Very interested to see what Mr. Orr has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    Any other DetroitYESers here? It's getting pretty crowded. Very interested to see what Mr. Orr has to say.
    It's crowded 2 hours before go time? Gonna be interesting.

WDIV livestreaming coverage here:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/k...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    It's crowded 2 hours before go time? Gonna be interesting.

WDIV livestreaming coverage here:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/k...z/-/index.html
    Does anyone know if there will be any radio coverage?

I was here at 5 o'clock to wait in line and I was one of the last people to get in. Lots of pissed off people that didn't get in.

Well they got smart...a woman just announced that they will be taking public question by index cards, which will be passed out and collected.

You know why?
    You said it...the rent is TOO DAMNED high.

What a well-organized and informative meeting. The civil tone of the Q&A -- and these aren't all softball questions -- gives me hope for how City of Detroit dialogue and civic discourse can go.

Default City-Owed State Revenue Sharing and Belle Isle Lease

Orr stated that he would not rule out going after the state for the revenue sharing money, as he is obligated by law to pursue redress from any and all sources. My gut tells me that any debt "workout" plan may come from the state.

He also stated his intent to put the Belle Isle lease on the table again, but he will not sell it.

Get ready for interesting times.

corktownyuppie...couldn't agree with you more. I watched online. The discourse was civil and intelligent. Very well organized. Orr did a fantastic job explaining his positions and didn't dodge questions. After listening to so much political bs the past few months, this session [[whether you agree or disagree with him) was rather refreshing.

All fun and games until the Wayne State Police start assaulting the press. At least we know Steve Neavling ain't no wussy.

Happy to hear things were civil. I didn't even try to go cause too many rabble rousers just destroy public meetings.

Of course I care, this is my city.

Screaming idiots just is not my cup of tea. There is still a lot of talent and energy in this city. I want to hear reasoned dialogue and movement to fix problems.

Does someone know what was different this time. How did the vocal minority manage to act civil. Was it security, the room itself or the force of Orr's personality. I just couldn't see Mr. Bing or the council members getting that kind of respect in a public meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    All fun and games until the Wayne State Police start assaulting the press. At least we know Steve Neavling ain't no wussy.

What was THAT all about? Why did he get shoved by that cop?

I was impressed with the poise and professionalism of Orr last night. He answered questions directly, didn't point blame, assessed the situation and gave his current thoughts. [[50/50 chance of bankruptcy, Belle Isle will be leased for 30 years etc). I was most disappointed by the quality of questions posed by the attendees - not one was insightful - and many were downright accusatory. The lunatic white guy screaming about banks being solely responsible for Detroit's ills was an embarassment to all Detroiters. People like that should be banned from future meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Does someone know what was different this time. How did the vocal minority manage to act civil. Was it security, the room itself or the force of Orr's personality. I just couldn't see Mr. Bing or the council members getting that kind of respect in a public meeting.
    A few sources [[neighborhood city hall, etc) put out that the Meeting would be held Friday at Greater Grace in Detroit and Monday at M L King High School both at 6:30pm
    When the news reported WSU Law School, residents knew that only a few seats would be available for the 'average detroiter'.
    This was also a signal to 'average detroiters' that do get in they werent playing games either.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I think it was Orr's personality. He won the respect of the crowd. Orr was honest, to the point and seemed sincere about wanting to help Detroit.

Whether you are against having an EM or not is one issue, however there are FAR WORSE people I could think of for the EM job. Actually, after leaving the meeting I got the impression that Orr was probably the best person to have as an EM if you're going to have one.

If this is true, he really needs to have another meeting. On the east and west side, so that retirees, city workers, people living in the neighborhoods who feel powerless, can see that. Detroiters could care less about what the media says, the approval of the media plus 250 people is really useless. If he can go into the community and treat people with respect and say I care about you and I dont see you as useless and uneducated people [[the general concept of the average Detroit) and I am going to do my best to make your life better. He will probably get support. However, if he continues to isolate himself and speak through the media, he will continue to be thought as Snyders 'token' by most Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    If this is true, he really needs to have another meeting. On the east and west side, so that retirees, city workers, people living in the neighborhoods who feel powerless, can see that. Detroiters could care less about what the media says, the approval of the media plus 250 people is really useless. If he can go into the community and treat people with respect and say I care about you and I dont see you as useless and uneducated people [[the general concept of the average Detroit) and I am going to do my best to make your life better. He will probably get support. However, if he continues to isolate himself and speak through the media, he will continue to be thought as Snyders 'token' by most Detroiters.
    In the meeting he said this is the first of more meetings. He also said he'd try to get a bigger venue for the next meetings so more people could come.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    In the meeting he said this is the first of more meetings. He also said he'd try to get a bigger venue for the next meetings so more people could come.
    Thats good to hear.

I think the entire concept of him having meetings [[which are required by law) is absurd. His job is to fix the cities finances - not to be my therapist. There's nothing of value anyone in attendance can add to the process. One meeting every six months is enough in my books.

Residents have the right to hear information directly from him or his representative, without the usual spins from the news.
    I hope they post videos of this community meeting and any others on the City of Detroit Website.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Orr stated that he would not rule out going after the state for the revenue sharing money, as he is obligated by law to pursue redress from any and all sources. My gut tells me that any debt "workout" plan may come from the state.

He also stated his intent to put the Belle Isle lease on the table again, but he will not sell it.

Get ready for interesting times.
    As long as the state doesnt shut it down and fence it up for more festivals, concerts, etc. I wonder if the state makes money off of the island will the city see the any of it?

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I was impressed with the poise and professionalism of Orr last night. He answered questions directly, didn't point blame, assessed the situation and gave his current thoughts. [[50/50 chance of bankruptcy, Belle Isle will be leased for 30 years etc). I was most disappointed by the quality of questions posed by the attendees - not one was insightful - and many were downright accusatory. The lunatic white guy screaming about banks being solely responsible for Detroit's ills was an embarassment to all Detroiters. People like that should be banned from future meetings.
    Here's my take on this...

[[1) I'm in banking, and I will admit that the fraudulent manipulation of the LIBOR really F'd Detroit. Now were banks solely -- or even primarily -- the cause of Detroit's ills? No.

[[2) As much as I would love to avoid stupid or irrational commentary, I think it's just as important to have the public voice be heard. HOWEVA, I don't think that the sound and fury of a small number of people should disrupt the honest and real dialogue of thee many others. You get 60 seconds, and STFU once your time is up. Have questions screened by a 3rd party so that we are hearing many points of view and not just the 30 loudest people in the room singing Onward Christian Soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    As long as the state doesnt shut it down and fence it up for more festivals, concerts, etc. I wonder if the state makes money off of the island will the city see the any of it?
    [[1) I believe that all money generated on the island will go towards the island.

[[2) I believe that we are in no position to negotiate, and I just hope the state will still take the deal that was on the table last year.

[[3) Lastly, is that regardless of what the city/state decide...if this thing goes into Chapter 9, the bankruptcy court could view the lease as a strategy to prevent creditors from seeing any potential revenue that could have been generated. And even if the bankruptcy court rules in favor of the city/state, the creditors will sue -- Matty Moroun-style.

I imagine that the worst case scenario [[since we can't be forced to sell Belle Isle) would be that they void the lease to the state, force the city to start charging an admissions fee on it, and refuse to fund any of the necessary capital improvements.

Chapter 9 could go a whole lot of different ways, and it's quite unclear who or what would be better off.

I get that we live in a democractic republic. Which means the mayor and city council should have public hearings. It also means we, as citizens, are ultimately responsible for what happened over the past 50 years. No one else. We were the CEO's of the cities [[i.e. we elected someone to represent us on our behalf). We clearly failed to govern, or appoint people who could govern effectively.

The emergency manager is the warden sent to correct us. He has no allegiance to us, nor should he. He is here to fix our problems. Prisoners don't suggest punishments or corrective therapy to their wardens. They do as they're told.

In 16.5 months, we'll have our city back and collectively we will become CEO's again. But to think an emergency manager "owes" us public dialogue is patently absurd.

What in the everloving fuck is so hard about scheduling public meetings in adequately-sized venues? It's almost like they're doing it on purpose or something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast