Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I had some inspiration to complete a "Requst for Proposal", I've kinda run out of steam on this, if anyone wants to contribute their ideas or estimates, feel free. I'm going to mail it to Ken and the DDA tomorrow.
    Orginal is here: http://www.degc.org/data/Lafayette_D...ch_EKS_RFP.pdf

A PROPOSAL
    For the
    FACADE RENOVATION
    And
    MOTHBALLING
    Of The
    LAFAYETTE BUILDING in DETROIT, MICHIGAN
    DDA RFP No. 2009 – LAFAYETTE REDO – 001

Proposing Entity:
    Address: Detroit, MI

B.
    Facade Renovation Cost:
    $35,000
    Mothballing Cost:
    $24,400
    Total Cost:
    $59,400
    C. Starting and Completing Work
    Façade Renovation 30 days
    Mothballing 30 days

D.
    E.
    F. UNIT PRICE SCALE
    UNIT PRICE NO. 1
    The cost of removing unsafe slate colored façade addition from lower part of building, removing graffiti, vegetative growth, and visible dilapidation debris.
    30 x 10 Cubic Yard Dumpsters $7,000
    3 Scissor Lifts $4,500
    6 Masonry Workers @ $15.00 x 4 weeks $14,400
    6 General Labors @ $10 x 4 weeks $9,600

UNIT PRICE NO. 2
    The cost of installing treatments to windows for appearance, security system, and mothballing the building for future development.
    4 Window Installers @ $15 x 4 weeks $14,400
    Security System $5,000
    Materials $5,000

Hell, I mean heck put me on the sissors lift, gimme a pry bar and I'll take care of it. But only if my truck can make it down there .

From the horses mouth:

City of Detroit, Budget Deficit Reduction Plan, January 30, 2009
    Page 5, last 2 sentences:
    Other: Explore public-private partnerships to refurbish City-owned building by developers. This may make these properties attractive for future sale and with potential revenues for the city.

Cockrel obviously forgot about this particular item. I wonder if he remembered to reduce his salary by 20%?

Lorax Guest

It's amazing how short sighted politicians are- when they have the opportunity to make a difference, and really set a positive example, they screw it up every time. Cockrel needs to grow a pair and draw the line in the concrete- this far- no further. the Lafayette is certainly salvagable, and should be mothballed at less expense than demolition.

So, my only conclusion is what I mentioned in this thread earlier- someone's getting a kickback on the taxpayer's dime. The only reason for this building coming down, is that someone at city hall is getting paid off. Let's see who the demo contractor is. Maybe the Historic District Commission needs to grow a pair as well, and ask to see all the estimates they get for the demo work, and read the fine print. The city apparently doesn't employ any attorneys who are worth a sheet.