Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

We have plenty of Family dollar and Dollar Stores, all type of beauty supply stores too. Is every Detroiter cheap or just stupid? It's people like you all who don't understand, you complain we don't have retail, now we have it and your complaining. I truly don't understand you people in this region! It's frustrating..IT'S ALL ABOUT HAVING OPTIONS WITHOUT LIVING THE CITY, NOT EVERYTHING HERE WILL BENEFIT YOU BUT IT WILL BENEFIT SOME OR NOT MOST. Get over yourself, they wont miss your money or patronizing.

Love the sarcasm lol! Just watch all the new development aroud here when we get a 20,000 sq ft "Family Dollar downtown! I can't wait, this is exciting!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Dollar stores and check cashing establishments, the true sign of neighborhood revival.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    We have plenty of Family dollar and Dollar Stores, all type of beauty supply stores too. Is every Detroiter cheap or just stupid? It's people like you all who don't understand, you complain we don't have retail, now we have it and your complaining. I truly don't understand you people in this region! It's frustrating..IT'S ALL ABOUT HAVING OPTIONS WITHOUT LIVING THE CITY, NOT EVERYTHING HERE WILL BENEFIT YOU BUT IT WILL BENEFIT SOME OR NOT MOST. Get over yourself, they wont miss your money or patronizing.
    Where is the Family Dollar that serves downtown residents? To lump this store with typical dollar stores and check cashing places just shows either your arrogance or ignorance of who these stores serve and what they sell.

Did you guys see the new Cityloft commercial? Pretty neat.
    http://vimeo.com/26790787

This one?

I live downtown and visit many Dollar Store/ Family dollar in this city. It may not be one in downtown proper, but we have a few around the city. Dollar Tree on jefferson, Family dollar up Woodward, Dexter, Michigan av. Most of you travel as far as the suburbs to go shopping, why not travel a few miles in the city if that's the case? I know exactly what they sell and it' ok..no fit for downtown proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Where is the Family Dollar that serves downtown residents? To lump this store with typical dollar stores and check cashing places just shows either your arrogance or ignorance of who these stores serve and what they sell.

Most of you must be 'old' on this forum site? Our goal is attract and retain young folks to live, play, shop in the city. So let's open a freaking "Dollar Store", where theres over 30 Dollar Stores in the city, maybe? Your not serious are you?!! WWWWOOOOWWWW. Everybody needs a NEW approach on this "negative" site. Hey you guy's, LET'S GO SHOPPING AT FAMILY DOLLAR on our lunch break!!!!

Most of you must be 'old' on this forum site? Our goal is attract and retain young folks to live, play, shop in the city. So let's open a freaking "Dollar Store", where theres over 30 Dollar Stores in the city, maybe? Your not serious are you?!! WWWWOOOOWWWW. Everybody needs a NEW approach on this "negative" site. Hey you guy's, LET'S GO SHOPPING AT FAMILY DOLLAR on our lunch break!!!!
    Listen, Family Dollar would sell the underwear that canuck mentioned he wanted within the CBD proximity to buy. It also sells Pamolive, Ajax, toilet paper, and brand name food in sizes that are good for those living in small urban places. Do you want to have to make an hour long round trip to get a 48 roll pack of toilet paper at the Walmart in Dearborn when you can just walk a block, grab what you need and not have to worry about what you're going to do with the 44 rolls you won't need for months?

Suppose you're making spagetti and realize you have no Parmasan Cheese, you can go to Family Dollar and get the Kraft Brand cheese and some frozen garlic bread. Once again you're saving an hour round trip plus gas. In addition there is rarely a long line at a Family Dollar or a Dollar General. If you want to wait in a long line at the Walmart in Dearborn be my guest.

Yeah its not a glamourous store, but it fulfills a need that is currently not there. You can have successful store such as these in towns accross america with populations a lot less than what currently live in Downtown Detroit.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-28-11 at 10:17 AM.

Why in Christ's name would you ever suggest it's neccessary to drive an hour to a Walmart for toilet paper or parmesean?! Or Ajax or Palmolive?! What's wrong with the CVS on Woodward if you live right Downtown or, God forbid, a six minute car ride out Jefferson to Harbortown?!

Dammit.

Some people act like they're living in the middle of the forest.
    Last edited by Eric_c; July-28-11 at 10:23 AM.

Ok, good point but I bet if they had the opportunity to travel to the suburb's to go shopping, they would...is that an exception? Everybody on here always mentioning they've shop in the suburb's for these common things. While your traveling across the city to go on 15 mile and gratiot to go shopping. You pass several Dollar store/ Family Dollars before you even cross 8-mile. Why not visit the ones in the city proper?

THANK YOU!!! OMG..people are tripping on here! I find all my basic needs here downtown, what's the issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Why in Christ's name would you ever suggest it's neccessary to drive an hour to a Walmart for toilet paper or parmesean?! Or Ajax or Palmolive?! What's wrong with the CVS on Woodward if you live right Downtown or, God forbid, a six minute car ride out Jefferson to Harbortown?!

Dammit.

Some people act like they're living in the middle of the forest.

Not much difference between the much-maligned dollar stores of today and the neighborhood five-and-dimes of yesterday.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Whatever your thoughts on the overall project, the scene on Woodward between Clifford and Grand River was kind of Dickensian tonight. Lots of cops and barriers keeping the Woodward regulars to the sidelines, where they watched suburbanites celebrate downtown. "Let's give it up for the streets of Detroit," gushed the emcee of the fashion show.
    Although the streets are open, the scene isn't much different today, both inside and out. Great description.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Whatever your thoughts on the overall project, the scene on Woodward between Clifford and Grand River was kind of Dickensian tonight. Lots of cops and barriers keeping the Woodward regulars to the sidelines, where they watched suburbanites celebrate downtown. "Let's give it up for the streets of Detroit," gushed the emcee of the fashion show.
    I was expecting such a description, but I don't think it's tremendously fair, considering the fact that the barriers were put up because of the open bar and runway show taking place in the middle of Woodward. Once the bar closed, things opened up [[but at that point the rain put a damper on anything really picking up).

Standing in line seeing many get denied access because they were not on the guest list was a bummer, but considering that they were providing a free open bar, food and a runway show, I would have to think you'd agree that a barrier was necessary.

i love Detroit... i love Somerset Collection... i really want a full fledged mall in Downtown Detroit...

that said, Somerset Cityloft was a joke... I was completely underwhelmed and felt it was a complete waste of my time... it's only a 4,000 sq. ft. space and they try to cram 41 stores into it... while trendy looking, it ends up feeling like a crowded, cluttered and small department store... even worse, they say they have 41 stores represented, but it's only like 5-10 items from each store [[2 from the Sweet Factory I believe)... each store maybe has a 3'x4' table and that's the largest display i saw for a store in the whole place.. lastly, it's all overpriced, which I suppose is a given since its Somerset, but it was all just a let down... i really wanted to like this place, but in the end i couldn't.. i expected better and i have a lot of grace for all things "Detroit", but other harsher critics certainly won't and as it is now, it's not gonna bring any people down to the city after a first [[and likely disappointing) look... they need to double the amount of space for it to be anything worth while... i want it to succeed, but i'm pretty sure as it is, it won't...

Quote Originally Posted by StubbyStone View Post
    i love Detroit... i love Somerset Collection... i really want a full fledged mall in Downtown Detroit...

that said, Somerset Cityloft was a joke... I was completely underwhelmed and felt it was a complete waste of my time... it's only a 4,000 sq. ft. space and they try to cram 41 stores into it... while trendy looking, it ends up feeling like a crowded, cluttered and small department store... even worse, they say they have 41 stores represented, but it's only like 5-10 items from each store [[2 from the Sweet Factory I believe)... each store maybe has a 3'x4' table and that's the largest display i saw for a store in the whole place.. lastly, it's all overpriced, which I suppose is a given since its Somerset, but it was all just a let down... i really wanted to like this place, but in the end i couldn't.. i expected better and i have a lot of grace for all things "Detroit", but other harsher critics certainly won't and as it is now, it's not gonna bring any people down to the city after a first [[and likely disappointing) look... they need to double the amount of space for it to be anything worth while... i want it to succeed, but i'm pretty sure as it is, it won't...
    I walked in at lunch today as well and just laughed...it really is a joke. I credit the effort they put in, but it certainly leaves basically everything to be desired.

With all of those empty storefronts along Woodward, I wonder why they couldn't just give each store its own temporary space? Or perhaps subdivide a few of the retail spaces to accommodate maybe 2 or three stores? Seems like it would be cheap... And much more of a shopping experience...

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I walked in at lunch today as well and just laughed...it really is a joke. I credit the effort they put in, but it certainly leaves basically everything to be desired.
    I was also there around lunch today and agree with both of you. It was pretty disappointing.

That is too bad to hear. At least it is something in the store front, better than nothing at all or a dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I was also there around lunch today and agree with both of you. It was pretty disappointing.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    With all of those empty storefronts along Woodward, I wonder why they couldn't just give each store its own temporary space? Or perhaps subdivide a few of the retail spaces to accommodate maybe 2 or three stores? Seems like it would be cheap... And much more of a shopping experience...
    This would have been a much better idea, would have stretched the block. As it is now, there is not enough room or enough of any one store's product to even qualify as an "experiment" in this sort of retail.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    That is too bad to hear. At least it is something in the store front, better than nothing at all or a dollar store.
    I would prefer a dollar store. At least I would have found something I needed. I think the 4,000 square feet includes the storage space in the back. They will be hard pressed to keep any kind of selection of sizes within this small space. It seems this is more a showcase of retailers at Somerset rather than an actual attempt to make sales downtown.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I would prefer a dollar store. At least I would have found something I needed. I think the 4,000 square feet includes the storage space in the back. They will be hard pressed to keep any kind of selection of sizes within this small space. It seems this is more a showcase of retailers at Somerset rather than an actual attempt to make sales downtown.
    I thought the exact thing walking through there. Somerset got way more than the half-million bucks spent in publicity for this...and others like Gilbert helped pay the tab.

Pretty much what I assumed based on the promotions and the coverage. There is a right way and a wrong way to improve the retail environment, this is not the right way. [[The right way is a slow, difficult, and uncertain process.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmyers View Post
    Pretty much what I assumed based on the promotions and the coverage. There is a right way and a wrong way to improve the retail environment, this is not the right way. [[The right way is a slow, difficult, and uncertain process.
    What's the point of even being open if you're only doing it a few days a month? It's pointless and seems like a cop out by Somerset, almost as if Bing was pressuring them a lot and they just threw him a little tiny bone...

They could have filled all the storefronts down there with stores, made them stay open till at least 7, and significantly changed that strip. That would have created a lot of foot traffic. Instead we have a glorified pop-up shop which is barely open and wants to shuttle rich office workers through downtown instead of having them use the People Mover or *gasp* walk 2 blocks!

Went by earlier today. Sort of wtf'd as I went by. They had a guy in front singing and the Escalades parked some weird way. Couldn't even tell what stores were over there. Ugh, can Apple just come in a save the day?

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    They could have filled all the storefronts down there with stores, made them stay open till at least 7, and significantly changed that strip. That would have created a lot of foot traffic. Instead we have a glorified pop-up shop which is barely open and wants to shuttle rich office workers through downtown instead of having them use the People Mover or *gasp* walk 2 blocks!
    Have you ever seen the inside of some of these buildings? These are 60+ year old building most haven't been used for over 20 years. They're dirty and require alot of work and rehab. Somerset never had to come down there. We should be glad that they are even making an attempt, no matter how small.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast