Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The thing is - they flipped a switch last January and they are gone from my over the air DTV. But I'll give them the best news team award. That's all we want is news. Not fluff from the internut played out for several hours.

....................I LOL'd !!!

OMG!!!! whoa...i saw the manniquen thing too and thought who in their right mind would set their face 2 inches from that thing. and the "love doctor" hahaha. you hit the nail on the head on that one, just terrible. but, i will say, the part about the "fat" kids with the dying mother was a little uncalled for.

Man, did you guys get out of the wrong side of bed today. gopher, if you say "what" one more time to your TV I'm gonna send over Samuel L. Jackson to read some scripture to you. It's a slow news day. Most everybody is going out of town and those of us who are left will be attempting to blow off various parts of our bodies to demonstrate our freedom to do so.

You know, this is where a board like this could really be useful if reps from the various media outlets were reading. They over moderate their own sites so bad when it comes to comments about their operations that it's pointless to comment there. This could be an open forum for them to see how people really feel about how they do their newscasts or stories as long as they weren't allowed any influence here over post content.

There is a technical board I've been to a few times dealing with Audio Visual Sciences that will strike down any negative comment about a TV station or how they do business. It seems pretty clear that they have station employees as moderators on that board out to protect the stations' images.

I was thinking that too as I attempted to wade thru the chunk of type - LOL!....
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Paragraphs!!

OK?

Indeed! ROTFL! ------
    Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    ...if you say "what" one more time to your TV I'm gonna send over Samuel L. Jackson to read some scripture to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    I likes shrimp and I is one. but not THAT Lt. Dan. my name is bit from detroit pop culture in da movies though.
    lol @ this one.....

detroitjim Guest

Wholl Parkins is the WORST!!!!!!

Personally, I don't think Fox 2 is horrible because I watch it every day. I think any other news stations in Detroit are horrible.

They are terrible. Cheeky, campy, fake all of them. I actually watch them just to get a chuckle.

If it wasn't for some of the traffic babes I really wouldn't watch at all. I am that shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Wholl Parkins is the WORST!!!!!!

LOL!!! "wholl"

and they just showed the firework safety thingy again...hahahaha

Op here. Sorry for the drunk rant.
    For anyone that says its a slow new day you really are wrong. There are many shootings, fires, stabbings, rapes, and homicides that happen every night in the city of Detroit that simply never go reported.
    Did you know a cop in the north west district was in a gun fight with a 16 year old last night? Just a hour ago there was 20 shots fired in a strip club.
    Did you know there was a car on fire inside the Packard plant?
    Lost of stuff happens that they choose not to report, or just don't know about. If you want a real source of local news buy a police scanner. [[ if you can afford it )
    And i was wrong to rant about the poor girl with dead / dyeing parents.
    Last edited by gopher; July-02-11 at 10:12 PM.

Damn. For all the energy spent here ranting about channel 2, one could've gotten up and changed the station to something a little more palatable.

You guys make it sound as though it's the only station in town and were forced at gunpoint to watch it. You don't like it and wouldn't want to be stuck in a Turkish prison cell with Jay Towers- we get it; most of us wouldn't either. Move on.

Next thing I'm gonna hear is that Deena Centofanti isnt flirting with only me.

Rule number one when watching the morning news is: only watch the first ten minutes to get overnight headlines, weather, and traffic. If you watch beyond that, then it becomes repetitive. Fox2 Morning is notorious for rebroadcasting a news story that they did the night before. During the mornings when I'm not going to work, I tend to flick through the main local morning newscasts and then watch the first half hour of the Today Show and/or Good Morning America. I'm through with Fox2 once the national shows come on. That segment that Fox2 has at 9 a.m. during the week when Jason Carr, Q, and Lee Thompson sit on the couch and do whatever is insane. Most days I'm working so I don't see this, but I mean what else can you do if you're Fox2 and you've been on the air since 4:30 in the morning?

Overall, local news is very poor in terms of good journalism. Since when did TV shows shown the night before become a part of local news broadcasts the next day? American Idol, the Apprentice, and Dancing with the Stars get heavy coverage on local broadcasts. Before reality shows this didn't happen. Well, I guess I just answered my own question.

Also, someone wrote about the segment on Fox2 where Huel Perkins and Monica Gayle just chit chat and give there opinions on news stories they've just reported on. This I thought was the worst piece of journalism until I saw a news segment on Channel 7 Action News where the broadcaster read tweets from one imaginary animal to another. Absolutely insane. In addition, I don't mind the "what do you think?" surveys on local news, but I am having a problem with all the emails, and facebook responses to headline news stories. I want Carmen Harlan to report the news, not read an opinion that someone has on the news. That's not newsworthy. Again, local news is nothing like it used to be.

REALLY ? whos in charge over there? highschool kids?
    Unpaid interns. The force behind our economy.

I think there's a general dumbing down of all the news outlets, but especially at the local levels. They are relying on amateurs and inexperienced staff far too much. I've just been reading a few stories on the DetNews website and I'm dismayed at how incomplete and poorly written they are.

One thing I can't understand is the tag-team reading of a story on-air. You have two anchors, usually one male and one female. During every story, one will read one sentence, the other reads the next; back and forth, back and forth almost like a tennis match. Not alternating between stories or even paragraphs, but individual sentences.

I heard it has to do with the vanity of the 'talent'. One doesn't want to get less on screen time than the other and since one story might have more words than the next they're unwilling to alternate stories and let the other anchor get more screen time.

I can only imagine their reaction during my first [[imaginary) day as news director. I'd tell them that I knew they were anticipating some changes with new management. I'd reassure them that there would not be 'some' changes. Then I'd ruin their day by telling them that almost everything would change from the ground up, the entire format. Some staff would be retained, some would not. Those that wanted to go would be released from their contracts. Those that wanted to stay and work for a news station would be welcome.

You need a ed ah der, gopher.

That rant made my day gopher. Fox2 has always been the worst local station, Ch4 runs a close 2nd. Sadky ch 7 is circling the drain now too. I am so sick of the f'ing exploding watermelon year after year. Your head will have the same effect from watching fox2 for more than 5 minutes.

sorry about the link-Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I've just been reading a few stories on the DetNews website and I'm dismayed at how incomplete and poorly written they are.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. On any given day, you can read the News or Free Press and come across errors that make you shake your head. Don't they employ any copy editors any more?
    I worry about the younger generation reading the paper and seeing the many mistakes it contains. Then I stop and think it's probably a moot point anyway since that group doesn't seem to read anything, much less the local newspapers.

Just watch "American Dad" on the Cartoon Network instead!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast