Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    "I bet the % of Livonia residents who use the library is not that high either."
    You would lose your bet.
    What is the percentage? Is it a majority?

" And on top of that, you can't use a 2% figure to say transit is not important."
    Why not?
    It is regional transportation, not intra-city. So the percentage of residents of a particular city is a moot point.

"I bet only something like 0.5% of people in Livonia probably use the main road outside your subdivision. Should that road get no upkeep?"
    Not much of a gambler are you. You would also lose that bet.
    What is the percentage? Is it a majority?

"How about fire and police. Even less use those services on a regular basis."
    Used by every citizen, every day.
    Fire service is not a deterrent. Most police service is not, either.

"$20.00 bucks on the property tax bill is not going to break someone's bank account."
    I see that it has gone from a price of a Big Mac to $20. Not even close. Do a little research.
    What would your cost be?

"It is this kind of thinking that prevails especially in the senior population that is holding out cities back big time for many things from transit, to city building, etc"
    Yep, we're the bad guys. We are just too old to understand.
    You forgot to answer other questions. Would you vote yes or no for library funding? Yes or no for public school funding? These are the types of "invest in the future" expenditures that some people use and then later in life vote against.

"You would think the seniors who have the best life and financial footings of any people in history "
    How do you think we got there? We worked our butts off for it just as you will.
    And used the bus system that I helped pay for and never used.

"As I stated earlier, there really should not even be votes on things like transit. The home rule powers in states like Michigan are much too strong and should be removed."
    As I stated earlier, we like to have a say in our lives. We will not be dictated to by the state as we the people are the state. You apparently think that there should be a person in charge to tell you what to think and what is best for you. Please tell me this is not true.
    Thankfully this country is a federal republic that protects and invests in the minority so that we as a whole become a stronger nation. Libraries, schools, medicare, highway system, garbage collection, military... we all chip in based on our ability and do not let others "opt out" and shift the burden of a nation to others while enjoying its holistic benefits.
    Last edited by East Detroit; July-13-11 at 06:08 AM.