Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    "I bet the % of Livonia residents who use the library is not that high either."
    You would lose your bet.
    What is the percentage? Is it a majority?

" And on top of that, you can't use a 2% figure to say transit is not important."
    Why not?
    It is regional transportation, not intra-city. So the percentage of residents of a particular city is a moot point.

"I bet only something like 0.5% of people in Livonia probably use the main road outside your subdivision. Should that road get no upkeep?"
    Not much of a gambler are you. You would also lose that bet.

"How about fire and police. Even less use those services on a regular basis."
    Used by every citizen, every day.
    Fire service is not a deterrent. Most police service is not, either.

"$20.00 bucks on the property tax bill is not going to break someone's bank account."
    I see that it has gone from a price of a Big Mac to $20. Not even close. Do a little research.
    What would your cost be?

"It is this kind of thinking that prevails especially in the senior population that is holding out cities back big time for many things from transit, to city building, etc"
    Yep, we're the bad guys. We are just too old to understand.
    You forgot to answer other questions. Would you vote yes or no for library funding? Yes or no for public school funding? These are the types of "invest in the future" expenditures that some people use and then later in life vote against.

"You would think the seniors who have the best life and financial footings of any people in history "
    How do you think we got there? We worked our butts off for it just as you will.
    And used the bus system that I helped pay for and never used.

"As I stated earlier, there really should not even be votes on things like transit. The home rule powers in states like Michigan are much too strong and should be removed."
    As I stated earlier, we like to have a say in our lives. We will not be dictated to by the state as we the people are the state. You apparently think that there should be a person in charge to tell you what to think and what is best for you. Please tell me this is not true.
    Thankfully this country is a federal republic that protects and invests in the minority so that we as a whole become a stronger nation. Libraries, schools, medicare, highway system, garbage collection, military... we all chip in based on our ability and do not let others "opt out" and shift the burden of a nation to others while enjoying its holistic benefits.
    Last edited by East Detroit; July-13-11 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post

Google can be your friend.

It is regional transportation, not intra-city. So the percentage of residents of a particular city is a moot point.

Not a moot point as the residents have to pay for it.

See first answer.

Fire service is not a deterrent. Most police service is not, either.

Peace of mind.

What would your cost be?

More than I care to pay.

You forgot to answer other questions. Would you vote yes or no for library funding? Yes or no for public school funding? These are the types of "invest in the future" expenditures that some people use and then later in life vote against.

This is not about libraries, schools, police or firefighters.

And used the bus system that I helped pay for and never used.
    Huh?

Thankfully this country is a federal republic that protects and invests in the minority so that we as a whole become a stronger nation. Libraries, schools, medicare, highway system, garbage collection, military... we all chip in based on our ability and do not let others "opt out" and shift the burden of a nation to others while enjoying its holistic benefits.
    Your point?

Your point?
    That you have no depth in your argument.
    Underscored by your inability and/or refusal to respond with substance.

You still owe me money for the bus subsidy I gave you, though.

This matter is becoming moot point.

The Federa Government is requiring cooperation and regionalization with all of their $$$ being spent in Southeast Detroit.

In 5 years no one will opt out, because we will all pay via Federal Tax Dollars.

The Feds is requiring that DDOT and SMART cooperate before giving them any funding.

President Ford required that we work together, too, in order to get the federal monies he wanted to give us for regional transportation.

However, we refused to do so and here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    That you have no depth in your argument.
    Underscored by your inability and/or refusal to respond with substance.

You still owe me money for the bus subsidy I gave you, though.
    Because I won't be your personal research intern, you say I have the inability to respond with substance?

The check is in the mail.

Because I won't be your personal research intern, you say I have the inability to respond with substance?

The check is in the mail.
    You make assertions without facts or cites or references. However, it is a common tactic [[obfuscation) in online "debate" to do so and then tell others to look it up themselves when the originator does not actually have the data. So, no substance, therefore no argument.

If I remember correctly, it was the previous poster "the originator" who used percentages with no facts to back them up. Why didn't you call him/her out on that? He gave his/her opinion on a couple of subjects and in return I gave mine. If you want to know which of us is correct it would seem to me that the burden is on your shoulders.

The only reason you are trying to shift the burden to me is because you obviously don't agree with my stance.

So, you were "debating" with them with no good data, or you're refusing to reveal your data on principle that honest discussion is less important than rhetoric?

Do you have good data about this discussion? If so, please share it with us. If not, are you doing the same thing as your accusation?

I'm not sure why you entered this discussion. It seems that you are only here to criticize and if that's your thing have at it. There's room for all.

Do you have good data about this discussion? If so, please share it with us. If not, are you doing the same thing as your accusation?

I'm not sure why you entered this discussion. It seems that you are only here to criticize and if that's your thing have at it. There's room for all.
    Two sides had already faced off. I was interested in your assertions and asked for your data. Apparently, you have none.

However, rather than expend more energy on this circular discussion, I will just thank the universe that others in this thread also care about the community more than a strict sense of themselves.

My stance, for the record, is that regional transportation should not be decided upon or affected by the will of the majority in any sector, but by the region and what is right for the minority. The minority, being our potential weakest link, needs our support and their well-being reflects our own. Much like Detroit is the canary in the coalmine for the United States, our federal republic protects the minority in knowing that we are all needing support and protection as individuals but at the same time are part of one united community that can only thrive united.

Later, dude.

While you have a valid stance, it does not alter my ability to pay for it.

Sometimes people have to pick and choose what they can and cannot support. Those that feel they must support every social cause will end up not being able to support themselves.

Much later dude.

While you have a valid stance, it does not alter my ability to pay for it.

Sometimes people have to pick and choose what they can and cannot support. Those that feel they must support every social cause will end up not being able to support themselves.

Much later dude.
    Your still paying the same amount, Livonia voted on whether to spend the money collected from the millage for SMART or capital improvements such as repaving parking lots. So the entire sum of your arguements amount to a steamy pile of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Your still paying the same amount, Livonia voted on whether to spend the money collected from the millage for SMART or capital improvements such as repaving parking lots. So the entire sum of your arguements amount to a steamy pile of crap.
    Your reading comprehension may be a "steamy pile of crap" as I voted for Smart the last time it was on the ballot.

Your reading comprehension may be a "steamy pile of crap" as I voted for Smart the last time it was on the ballot.
    Is there a third party that can chime in on this statement?

Y

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Is there a third party that can chime in on this statement?

Y
    All crap is steamy on days like today!

That Great Guy Guest

It makes sense not only for Walled Lake but also for the City of Dearborn

Google save the fuel tax org

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3