Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm not suprised about the drug problem. My hubby and his whole family are from that area and he told me how it was with the drugs even in the 70's....it's just intensified, I guess. About 10 years ago when his kids were having trouble we looked at some homes up there and were going to move back but the homes were way too expensive back then, so we stayed where we're at.

I am dredging up an old thread but here is a professional's opinion
    of the Warrendale neighborhood as it is today:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...d_block.html#2
    Last edited by Dumpling; September-19-16 at 01:03 PM. Reason: better choice of slide

Dumpling.... this sad tale is one reason why the city needs to concentrate on saving the most intact housing stock first.... for example, on the east side, they need to start at 8 Mile and also Moross and work southward and westward... trying to save the most intact housing stock before it gets to the "tipping point". The west side has different demographics. But the most intact neighborhoods need help fastest. Jefferson-Chalmers is pretty much gone, so rather than start from scratch immediately... the more intact areas need help sooner.

I know a lot of Americans don't want them, but I think if vetted adequately, that Syrian refugees should be funneled to this neighborhood. Maybe they can stabilize and revitalize this neighborhood like Iraqi, Lebanese, Yemeni Arabs did with Dearborn, Hamtramck, and Southwest Detroit. I live here, it is not too far gone, there are a lot of small houses that can be renovated/updated at a reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I know a lot of Americans don't want them, but I think if vetted adequately, that Syrian refugees should be funneled to this neighborhood. Maybe they can stabilize and revitalize this neighborhood like Iraqi, Lebanese, Yemeni Arabs did with Dearborn, Hamtramck, and Southwest Detroit. I live here, it is not too far gone, there are a lot of small houses that can be renovated/updated at a reasonable cost.
    I assume you're talking about security concerns in reference to vetting. The other half of the vetting process is locating Syrian people in areas where they have a chance to be successful. The fact that most of these people have zero English means they require English classes, help from other Syrian families or the community at large, access to transit, job training/search assistance, etc.
    Here in Canada, with a larger social safety net, many Syrians are still struggling to find access to these things. And then there's the story in the Toronto Star of the Syrian with an excellent farming background. Where does our gov't locate him? On a 9th floor apt. in Toronto of course.

Same story all over the city, beautiful housing, some way nicer then what you find in Warrendale, burned out, stripped, vandalized. I'm referring to all brick, wet plaster, oak floor houses that should be totally usable for the next 50 years. When you compare that with the junk theyre putting up or have already built, it's really sad.

Without going into the very first trip-up from the OP [[which was clearly there-no matter how thin you slice it), whom I used to think was just a troll, but DY veterans swear he just has a "damaged outlook", the Warrendale situation is something I've commented on a number of times.

No, it has little to do with racial demographics or what properties are going to whom based on Section 8 or whatever. The stark lines of difference to a neighborhood display the odd segregation that occurs in SW Michigan as it pertains from city to suburb, from suburb to suburb, or even from city sub-division to city sub-division [[I saw this clearly just growing up on the edge of North Rosedale Park).

Is it a segregation of race [[as the suburb to city or suburb to suburb factor will demonstrate)?-I will still maintain a no on that, as I see neighborhoods quite racial colorful from the suburbs and do quite fine. Is it a segregation of finance?-difficult to say. Is it a segregation of mindset?-difficult to gauge; yet, I will say to that, that we are living in a Western society that has gotten quite sedimentary, so a tendency to flock and herd to our likes is starkly obvious [[ie. sleeveless, racist Trump supporters in one region).

Also with that last question, let me add how things change: when white flight was heightened in the 80's, the media was smearing North Rosedale Park quite bad even at it's community peak in 1988. It didn't help that the senseless [[and I do mean very senseless and brazen) murders of two of Rosedale Park's most beloved members [[as if they were the worst targets to go after) were something the media jumped on. More folks fled. We then had a demographic of strictly elderly couples [[or widowers) and young African American newlyweds who just moved in to get a start. There was no Middle Age family grouping and no girls the ages of my brother and myself. That is adverse to live in. Outside of Rosedale, there were neighborhoods full of very discontentful kids [[well off or not) with a growing racial hatred towards the communities and were being encouraged by various outlets to be uneducated punks and street thugs, and they were banding together. Just proof [[not necessarily of race or income bracket) that other factors will play in affecting the mood and manner of an area.

The Warrendale situation is bad. You see it with Evergreen and the way landlords run properties there. You see it with the Wal-Marts in that area [[the second worst Wal-Marts I've ever seen next to Hartford, CT). I got pulled over on Evergreen and harassed real ugly like by an abusive, power-tripping cop [[he was not happy when he found I had a clean record and asked him what this was all about); all I was doing was heading to my old neighborhood on the same street I used to take to school and work just so I can find some murals I saw online and snap some shots.

I did see one section near there by some Warwick Preservation Community [[or something like that-I can't seem to find it online-so any help there, folks, I'd appreciate). The houses were nice for two streets, and it is proof some things can be saved. Doubt that?....back in the late 80's/early 90's Brightmoor was the armpit of NW Detroit [[I should know, I went to school with the official "mayor" of Brightmoor-or at least he was the most charismatic-ally popular one there with impunity; and he could get bang-up bags of grass when all else was dry at the time...). Now it is bouncing back by a people who have a spirit for not giving up.

That gives me hope that not all is lost for a majority of Detroit and all the genuinely constructive spirit and identity that continues to hold up Detroit when the shell, itself, is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    But how do you force them to live in a neighborhood? The Syrian refugees, like the Iraqi ones, tend to be educated and middle class.

Why wouldn't they move where their families already live, in Sterling Heights area? Homes are affordable, taxes low, schools and services good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But how do you force them to live in a neighborhood? The Syrian refugees, like the Iraqi ones, tend to be educated and middle class.

Why wouldn't they move where their families already live, in Sterling Heights area? Homes are affordable, taxes low, schools and services good.
    Maybe it was a bad idea. Just offering a suggestion to revitalize Warrendale. Do you have any suggestions?

Although I didn't use the word 'force' and there plenty of Middle Eastern immigrants in Hamtramck, Southwest Detroit, and the eastern side of Warrendale bordering Dearborn.
    Last edited by masterblaster; September-20-16 at 11:49 AM.

I think that immigration over the years has helped Warrendale greatly. Most
    residents there appreciate immigrant neighbors in general be they from the
    Middle East or elsewhere.
    The area has a high population density but it is probably slowly declining.
    People are still moving in and still fixing houses up; however, people are still
    moving out as well. More houses were sold in 2009-2010 than in 2013-2014
    and the home prices have declined from 2010. Unemployment is still somewhat
    high and median wages declined from about $27,000 in 2005 to about $21,000
    at present. At the same time median wages in Michigan have increased.

Nothing will be done to save 48205 and 48228.

Anyone thinking otherwise is living in a dream world.

Took my mom out on some errands Wednesday and wondered why there was a black helicopter hovering over "that Wal-Marts" on Ford Rd. Later found out it was a phony bombscare http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in.../menacing.html[[because when the authorities worry about locations terrorists may choose to wipe out Western society's elite, the must clearly be thinking Wal-Mart is the strategic location they are targeting for some reason or another....)---just another one to add to that archived book I'd like to see written.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Took my mom out on some errands Wednesday and wondered why there was a black helicopter hovering over "that Wal-Marts" on Ford Rd. Later found out it was a phony bombscare http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in.../menacing.html[[because when the authorities worry about locations terrorists may choose to wipe out Western society's elite, the must clearly be thinking Wal-Mart is the strategic location they are targeting for some reason or another....)---just another one to add to that archived book I'd like to see written.

Yep, I was in a Walmart in LaSalle the other day, and it seems like the people of Walmart; the "Élite" were out in full force in all the aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    Why in the hell is anyone seriously trying to engage Danny, of all people, in serious, thoughful debate and discussion? He is unable to reciprocate your good intentions. No, seriously, he's incapable of doing so. Please, keep that in mind. It's not his fault.
    Danny seems like a fine gent to me. Very much like Trump, but exactly different.

How's Chicks bar on Warren Ave doing?

As of Saturday it is still there, with a few patrons. Sometimes they must
    host reunions or special events - there are overflow crowds occasionally. I
    went there with a neighbor for Lenten Friday Fish Fry a couple of years ago.
    They do those every year.

Thanks for the update Dumpling..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2