Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who's boarding up houses in my neighborhod?

White Ford F150 - driven by a white guy with a great smiles and personality on Warwick and Belton in Detroit. I just want to say thank you for a job well done. He is doing this out of his own pocket and the kindess of his heart. We the neighbors in your community want to say THANK YOU!

That's excellent to hear. Hopefully we can see more of this.

I hope he visits 15280 Eastwood. That house is right next to me and I'm already cutting the grass and sweeping the curb. I don't really want to tackle the task of boarding the windows. I still have a few that I haven't removed from the back of my own home. Perhaps we can recycle them??? It would be so nice. And then maybe we would plant flowers in the front and paint the boards pretty colors like they do downtown... ...

Boarding up all abandoned and unlisted houses. ok.

Boarding up because the COD feels all vacant houses must be boarded, as per new ordanance is stupid.

Areas like Indian Village. Sherwood Forest, University District have a limited number of real abandoned/vacent houses. If a house is being listed why fill the first floor full of boarded windows. It runs down the area, tells any scrapper, here I am vacant.

These neighborhoods try to cut and maintain these properties. They are not burnt and scrapped.

Again the COD has hurt the folks who want to hang on to the historic areas.

And guess what! We in the above areas are paying 1000% more in taxes than our Council Woman Joann Watson. I wish I had her connections, or lack of integerty in paying her fair share.

Retroit Guest

As I understand it, windows on an building do not have to be boarded up as long as the glass is in place. Once the glass is broken, the owner can either replace the glass or put up boards. The requirement is that the building not be open for trespass.

[City Code reference: Sec. 37-2-2. [[b) ...a dwelling shall be considered abandoned if: [[1) That dwelling is vacant, dilapidated and open at the door or window, leaving the interior of the building exposed to the elements or accessible to entrance by trespassers...
    Sec. 37-2-3. [[a) It shall be unlawful for any owner or agent thereof to keep or maintain any dwelling which shall be [[1) vacant and open to trespass...]