Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The box tastes better than everyone of the pizzas mentioned. Especially buddy's their pizza living on reputation but the pizza itself has not been good for decades.
    You obviously haven't been to the original location on 6 Mile and Conant. Their pizza is the best by far, even over all their other locations. And I never will understand why people romanticize New York pizza so much. Now that is over-rated and over hyped!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And I never will understand why people romanticize New York pizza so much. Now that is over-rated and over hyped!
    There are very few NY-style pizzerias in Metro Detroit. But it is definitely a different type of pizza than the norm in this area.

Go to DiFara on Avenue J in Brooklyn and you may change your mind. That is some mindblowing pizza.

Better yet, go to Naples. Amazing, but very different than the Michigan norm.

I have heard good things about Pauls' Pizza on Vernor. But I have never tried it myself.

http://paulspizza.net/

ferntruth Guest

You obviously haven't been to the original location on 6 Mile and Conant. Their pizza is the best by far, even over all their other locations. And I never will understand why people romanticize New York pizza so much. Now that is over-rated and over hyped!
    The pizza at each Buddy's location is pretty consistent - the pizza at the original location is no better than the other locations. I do agree with the poster that Buddy's now pretty much lives on its reputation - it's not what it used to be.

Michago pizza in Ferndale has the best Chicago style pizza

The last time I had Buddy's, it was remarkably bland. I remember loving it years ago, but was really disappointed with how flavor-less it was...especially for the price.

The last time I had Jet's, I was sick for 2 days after.

I'm a Supino fan. I think PizzaPapalis is okay for what it is. There are a few other mentions here I'll need to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .. any good chicago-style pizzas served locally?

...any coney island places serve good pizza/slices?
    Kings Chicago style, on the I-696 service drive west of Gratiot in roseville. I have had Pizzapopolis chicago style and it sucks.

Not the best, but Amicci's in Hamtramck is very good. I believe they have a few other locations including SW Detroit.

Might be the best of the takeout joints that I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    1) Regarding Buddy's, obviously thousands of people disagree with you, including many national food writers. But go ahead and think whatever you like- more Buddy's for me.

2) There most certainly are places in the city with brick pizza ovens, including Small Plates.

3) I've been to a lot of pizzerias in NYC and most of them do not use stone or brick ovens.

WOW you must really love the box! Let's see to much and lousy dough way to much sauce but usually enought cheese even thought it also tastes like they just went to the grocery store to purchase it! And I know there are few traditional ovens here but its interesting the you could only name one place! Lastly all of the best places in NYC, Boston and Philidelphia plus my favorite pizza in AC use the proper oven. As for Buddys' if you want to eat crappy pizza be my guest I will not stop you!

NY is style of pizza i.e. thin crust! Pretty much every non square or non stuffed pizza sold anywhere is NY style so get your facts stright. As for Buddy's I have been going to the original location probably before you were born and have watch the deteriortion of the product fall to the point that I cannot even think about comsuming it anymore! It also interesting that they had to lie on their radio ads to the point that they had to change the wording!

Even better than Gracie See's, which was my favorite, is Marveso's on Wayne Road south of Warren in Westland. Absolutely outstanding flavors and crust.

I delivered at one of the first Little Caeser shops, and the pies were nothing like they are now. The dough was made in big mixers in each shop from scratch, and the cheese was good stuff. I think the big change was when they went to 10 minute pizza. They had to change the dough recipe and do something funky to the cheese to make it cook that fast in a standard low-temperature oven.

Also, Orthophonic-- I can remember a bunch of times that we went to Buddy's AND Shield's to make astute taste comparisons. They were only a couple of blocks apart, as I recall. Sometimes we'd go east a few block and visit the Turtle Soup Inn, too. That was a busy area for some serious chow.

Gracie See's Newest Pizza has been my favorite for a few years now, Yet I grew up by the original Little Ceasars in Garden City, I liked their pizza but now I can't say it is good. When Bob's on 7 mi opened my Uncle forgot about crossing Evergreen to get to LC. We liked that pizza and miss it till this day. BUDDY'S is still good in my opinion, But I'd rather eat at Gracies, or even the almost Detroit Roman Village on Dix.

NY is style of pizza i.e. thin crust! Pretty much every non square or non stuffed pizza sold anywhere is NY style so get your facts stright.
    No, this is not NY-style pizza.

NY-style is wide, thin, hand-tossed style of pizza, with high-gluten flour and light sauce.

There are very few places in MI with NY-style pizza. There's one in Farmington Hills, Supino has some NY-style versions, and I think a place at Square Lake & Woodward.

The crackly thin-crust style is Naples-style. Regular non-square pizza [[your typical Dominos or Jets) is just American-style pizza.

NY is style of pizza i.e. thin crust! Pretty much every non square or non stuffed pizza sold anywhere is NY style so get your facts stright. As for Buddy's I have been going to the original location probably before you were born and have watch the deteriortion of the product fall to the point that I cannot even think about comsuming it anymore! It also interesting that they had to lie on their radio ads to the point that they had to change the wording!
    OK, now, it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. NY style does indeed have a thin crust, but it is also soft and and has to eaten folded in half. If you think most of the pizza chains that make "thin crust" pizza are NY style, you're just plain wrong. I haven't been to Supino's but the only place in the area I know of that has something approaching NY style is NYPD in Ann Arbor.

And you will will also commonly find square pies in NY that are referred to as sicilian- style, with a thicker crust and more cheese. This is probably where the Buddy's-style Detroit pizza originally arose.

When its all said done bham1982 said it best before I could, all round thin crust pizzas are derived from Naples style! We all should get our facts straight! But that does not excuse the lousy pizza in a metropolitan that should have plenty of very good pizzarias!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-17-11 at 06:50 PM.

The best pizza in the city is on Conant 1 mile down from Buddys. It's in a cinder block building and is called Amar Pizza .

11608 Conant Street
    Hamtramck, MI 48212-3138
    [[313) 366-0980

I live just a couple blocks from them. You can test yourself by getting their Ghost Pepper pizza. It is delightfully hot but still tasty. You can get it even hotter than that if you dare to ask.

They have a bunch of exotic pizzas. You will have to see their menu. But their pizza that I really Jones for is the Chicago deep dish. It is about 2 inches tall. We pick it up at work for lunch. By the time we get back to the parking garage at the Fischer building it is still steaming. Man, that thing is good.

They were just robbed a couple nights ago at 10 pm. They should have thrown a couple ghost peppers into the robber's face.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Dan and Vis at Chene and i94 is good
    Dan and Vis is good but I prefer Chene Trombly Market which I think has same quality but with larger portions. Not located at Chene and Trombley they are at 94 service drive just West of Mt Elliot [[south side of 94) you can catch them on the MT Elliot 94 off ramp heading East. Delish.

Best ever was Third Street Saloon with Iris at the helm in the late 90s early 00s.

Rick, Is that ghost pepper pizza new? I didn't see it on their website. Sounds crazy, though. I've never tasted that pepper, I know it's crazy hot, though!

Stromberg2

They sell it but it's not on their menu. Just ask for it It's one of those Detroit things you just have to know, I guess.

Too be honest, it used to be on their menu, but I guess the resident marketing genius took it off. But ask them about it. It is still one of our favorites at work.

I've taken some die-hard deep dish pizza eaters from Chicago to Pizzapapalis and they absolutely loved it. I miss it very much.

Shields on E. Davison is long gone, but they had fabulous pizza --What I had when they were on 12 mile near Mound was horrible -- I gave them 3 chances ... 3 too many!! They closed down ---I wonder why? Buddy's on Conant and Louis [just ouside the city limits in Hazel Park ] are excellent - Cloverleaf and Green Lantern should be sought out as well

I've never had New York pizza-- I'm sure somewhere they have great pizza -After all,, they have so much of everything!! I guess when you're there, everything [as well as your senses] is enhanced - Just being there is part of the experience - On television I have seen 100+ year old brick ovens baking what looks like excellent pie In NYC --- I myself don't go to New York for the pizza

agrahlma Guest

Buddy's on Conant and Nikki's serve the best Detroit style pizza.

Supino and MCBW serve the best traditional thinner crust pizza. Friends of mine very much like the pizza at Angelina's, with the super thin and crispy italian crust, though that isn't quite my style.

I think Detroit has plenty of good pizza options!

In the burbs, Louie's is best.

Ghost Pepper Pizza is back on the menu at Amar's.

http://www.amarpizza.com/menuf.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast