Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm surprised some folks like Jets. I find it cheap-tasting and very, very greasy.

Among the megachains I would say [[worst to first) Happys/Little Caesars/Hungry Howies < Jets <Dominos/Papa Johns.

The new Dominos, IMO, is actually halfway decent.
    Disagree with you on Jets, but maybe it is the location. The Jets near Vernier on Mack makes one of the best pizzas, chain or otherwise. Nothing beats Dan Good or Cloverleaf on the east side, in my opinion, but sticking with city proper I'll second Buddy's with a nod to Supinos.

Dan and Vis at Chene and i94 is good

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    On the other hand there was a Jet's [[ I think it has closed ) on 7 Mile right near Chalmers. The food there was absolutely horrible.
    Yes, unfortunately, all Jets Pizza parlors are not the same, since that chain
    seems to be pretty prevalent here in Detroit.
    The Jets in Royal Oak Twp., on eight mile is the best, while the one on
    Vernor, on the Southwest side, has become the very worst lately.
    It's gotta be the different owners of the individual locations, which makes the difference.
    Otherwise, it's gotta be Buddy's [[eat-in) on Conant/McNichols.
    I have never tried Gracie See. I will change that soon.

It's Jets & if anyone knows of a way to get me a hot fresh one in Portland OR - I'll pay handsomely

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    The correct answer is Supino's.
    I don't know. The first time I had the pie with the egg, not bad but not in the top 50%. Second time a veggie pie, and I could think of a half-dozen pies I'd rather have had. No more for me = more for you I guess.

Nonas Pizza on Harper and Allard. Excellent Pie

agrahlma Guest

A couple of new ones downtown. Slices [[next to CVS) and Cottage Inn [[Compuware building).
    Name:  249808_1930102905032_1616011685_1932141_6248371_n.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  253713_1930100144963_1616011685_1932123_792089_n.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  33.1 KB

Red White and Green at Supino's hands down if you like Italian style pizza, light, fragrant, very thin crust with just the right amount of burnt on the edge, usually hand made by the owner. If you like American style, with heavy crust, heavy cheese, heavy bread, heavy oil, etc. you might want to try Domino's or Little Ceasar's, Jet's, Pappa Romano's, Papalis, etc. In that style a cut above would be Shield's or Buddy's, even Cottage Inn. It's all good if you are hungry enough but really, Supino's is exceptional and superior by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Nonas Pizza on Harper and Allard. Excellent Pie
    Although I haven't had them in quite a while.... Nona's was a great pizza. Whenever we had family get togethers [[when my parents were alive and living near St. John's) we always had Nona's... the whole family loved their pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Has Little Caesar's gotten worse, or was it always so horrible? I had a slice not too long ago [[after maybe 15 years of going without), and I think the worst supermarket frozen pizza tastes much better.

And I really liked Little Caesar's as a kid. Have my tastes changed, or did they change?
    When they went to that $5 hot and nasty crap, they changed the recipee so the ingrediants stay longer in the warmer ovens.

Little Caesars used to be a treat when we where a kid, but now everything that made little caesars special is gone.

As far as good pizza, here are my favorites in no paticular order...

#1 Buddys Pizza. The pizza seems to taste better the closer you get to 6 mile and Conant.

#2 Hungary Howies [[Phone 313-886-4500) For some reason the location on Mack in Grosse Pointe woods tastes best. The one in Hamtramck by my office, just doesn't taste the same for some reason.

#3 Vinces Bakery on 8 Mile and Schannor by Al Long Ford. Its best to order a 24 slice tray, been going there for years.

#4 Millers Party Store on Van Dyke between 8 and 9 Mile. They are part of the Buschamies franchise, which for some reason tastes better than the other locations. The owner is really cool!

#5 Sorrentos Pizza on 9 and Van Dyke. Can't get them to deliver to my office in Detroit, but its a very good pizza.

#6 Louies Pizza in Hazel Park on I believe 9 Mile by the Racetrack

#7 Uncle Pauls Pizza on Mack Ave in Grosse Pointe Woods [[Phone 313-884-7991)

#8 Carlos Pizza on Grosebeck and 16 Mile Road. This location is right behind the Kroger at the end of the strip mall.

#9 Pepperoni Grill on Greater Mack ave in St. Clair Shores. This is more of an Itallian Resturant, but they do serve good Pizza and are very reasonable.

#10 Flat Planet Pizza by eastern Market. Its been 3-4 years since I last ate here, but they where voted one of the best pizza places by the Detroit news several years ago. I ordered there 3-4 times and the pizza was good. Just too much of a hassle to order from them and then have to go pick it up because of where they are located and they don't deliver to my office.

DetroitPole Guest

The westside seems a galaxy away to me. I've never been to Gracie See's, despite having had family in Warrendale. Can I catch the Tigers game there?

Bob's Pizza on 7 mile near Evergreen has a pretty good pie.

The new pizza joint in downtown Ferndale, MiChigo Pizza has an amazing Chicago style pie. A nice sweet sauce, on par with Shield's, and a pretty cool interior. Check the MetroTimes, they usually have 15% off coupons.

But, Louis Pizza on Dequindre north of 9 Mile is the best.

Sicily's on W. Vernor is tops! Just wish there were more sit down Pizza restaurants.
    Roman Village is good so is Vince's. am hoping that when Octavia opens they'll have
    a decent pizza. I remember Luigi's downtown and LaLanterna's and even Famous,then going home there was Norbens on Michigan Ave.

is little italy's still on 8 mile? used to pick one of those up here and there. we used to get nona's all the time too but haven't had it in probably 10-15 years

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post

#10 Flat Planet Pizza by eastern Market. Its been 3-4 years since I last ate here, but they where voted one of the best pizza places by the Detroit news several years ago. I ordered there 3-4 times and the pizza was good. Just too much of a hassle to order from them and then have to go pick it up because of where they are located and they don't deliver to my office.
    Flat planet closed and is now supinos. I enjoy supinos and actually don't mind there prices. $14-16 for a large pie. I end up taking some home.

Otherwise it's JJ Fatts here in Berkley or Jet's. Sorrentos if I am in utica.

My wife and I just discussed this while eating our favorite bar pizza [[Town Pump). For thin crust new York style Supino's is untouchable. For classic Detroit style we vote Niki's [[although if the mythical shield's in the kales ever opens we'll try it). For the cheap and I want now dispute all the hate on this forum, we love Little Ceasers. For we can wait for delevery from a chain it's Ammici's or Jets. Chicago style can kiss my Detroit ass.

The box tastes better than everyone of the pizzas mentioned. Especially buddy's their pizza living on reputation but the pizza itself has not been good for decades! Almost every pizzeria in town uses the useless modern pizza oven not the proper stone or brick ovens. For the most part the pizza sucks here but if you want a decent NY style thin crust pizza try Bomarito's in St. Clair Shores. Plus 3 large with one topping is only $12.00 and you can get a different topping on each pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    When they went to that $5 hot and nasty crap, they changed the recipee so the ingrediants stay longer in the warmer ovens.

Little Caesars used to be a treat when we where a kid, but now everything that made little caesars special is gone.
    I wonder when was the last time Mike Ilitch himself tasted one of his pizzas.

I recall Little Caesars being more of a family oriented place. It seemed more small town, neighborhood pizza than mega-chain store pizza. Heck, even the sit down Little Caesars were pretty darn nice and the upscale America's Pizza Cafes weren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The box tastes better than everyone of the pizzas mentioned. Especially buddy's their pizza living on reputation but the pizza itself has not been good for decades! Almost every pizzeria in town uses the useless modern pizza oven not the proper stone or brick ovens. For the most part the pizza sucks here but if you want a decent NY style thin crust pizza try Bomarito's in St. Clair Shores. Plus 3 large with one topping is only $12.00 and you can get a different topping on each pizza.
    1) Regarding Buddy's, obviously thousands of people disagree with you, including many national food writers. But go ahead and think whatever you like- more Buddy's for me.

2) There most certainly are places in the city with brick pizza ovens, including Small Plates.

3) I've been to a lot of pizzerias in NYC and most of them do not use stone or brick ovens.

.. any good chicago-style pizzas served locally?

...any coney island places serve good pizza/slices?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .. any good chicago-style pizzas served locally?

...any coney island places serve good pizza/slices?
    I'd say PizzaPapalis is pretty good Chicago style.

GUSHI Guest

Not in Detroit but Georgios in Rochester is really good!

PizzaPapalis is good Chicago style.

Supino is good NY style.

Buddy's is good Detroit style.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast