Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Buddy's for sure. But when ordering delivery I have to say I Really like Detroit Pizza Factory. Always get a good pie from them...and very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I hate the term "back in the day", but back in the day, Shield's Bar used to make a great pizza. They still exist? Remember, I'm asking from w a y out of the area.....
    I love Shield's. Besides the one in Southfield, I know there was one a bit lower on Telegraph by Warren. There's also one in the City of Warren on 12 mile just east of Mound and there's another on Romeo Plank and 23 mile. It's either Shelby Township or Macomb Township.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Has Little Caesar's gotten worse, or was it always so horrible? I had a slice not too long ago [[after maybe 15 years of going without), and I think the worst supermarket frozen pizza tastes much better.

And I really liked Little Caesar's as a kid. Have my tastes changed, or did they change?
    I agree with your comments. I had LC last year [[2009-2010) winter for the first time in many years and it was awful. Won't happen again.

There are other Shield's locations... I attended a First Communion party at one at 23 Mile & Romeo Plank in Macomb Twp.

My favorite has always been Buddy's for sure... Jet's is also good. I sometimes order the Little Caesar's Hawaiian Pizza [[I never get the $5 pizza sitting in the warming case)... and I haven't had a bad one yet...

For those in the downtown/midtown/corktown/WSU/woodbridge/mexicantown area... Sicily's Pizza on Vernor is THE BEST!

I agree, Gracie's has my vote....greasy and HOT.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Who makes the best Pizza within the city limits of Detroit?

Gracie See gets my vote.

Vince's on Springwells.

There are three Shield's locations in the Metro Area; on on Maple and Crooks in Troy. I've eaten there fairly regularly and the pie is still very good.
    One of my all time favorite pizza's in the area is in Berkley at Sila's. It's the thin crust style and it is to die for.

Best thing to do with a hot n now:

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    For those in the downtown/midtown/corktown/WSU/woodbridge/mexicantown area... Sicily's Pizza on Vernor is THE BEST!

Thank you, that's one of the places I go to and never really bother to remember the name. Now that you've mentioned it, I may have to stop by there today.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Buddy's for sure. But when ordering delivery I have to say I Really like Detroit Pizza Factory. Always get a good pie from them...and very reasonable.
    Is Detroit Pizza Factory in Capitol Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, MCBW is good. Gracie See is a real gem. I could see the place from my bedroom window as a kid, and I still go there a few times a year.
    yumm Greasies.... ate there last month. What a place I can remember about ten years ago I got a salad that had not lettuce. When I asked what gives? They explained the cost of lettuce went up!

I like some of the small lesser known Pizza places best. On Mich ave near Greenfield, Pizza Kitchen makes a great pie.
    Last edited by brougham; June-07-11 at 07:45 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    And I really liked Little Caesar's as a kid. Have my tastes changed, or did they change?
    Caesar's has some quality control problems. It seems to vary a lot by franchise. The restaurants seem to do a lot better than the carry out places. There's one way up in Gaylord that's outstanding if you order in. The couple of carry out places in the Detroit area I've tried are hit and miss. There are too many consistently good chains to bother with taking a gamble on Caesar's.

Right now our favorite chain places are Buddies and Jet's, but we have the luxury of living fairly close to both Loui's and Green Lantern...

In just the city of Detroit it's Buddy's on 6 and Conant. If you want just downtown I think it's Papalis in Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I love Shield's. Besides the one in Southfield, I know there was one a bit lower on Telegraph by Warren. There's also one in the City of Warren on 12 mile just east of Mound and there's another on Romeo Plank and 23 mile. It's either Shelby Township or Macomb Township.
    23 and Romeo Plank is Macomb Township.

Is Detroit Pizza Factory in Capitol Park?
    I know where your talking about, yes it's in Capitol Park in the Griswold Building or right next to the Griswold Building, I can't remember if it's the same building or a different one but it's on the same side of the street.

For best pizza, I'm probably with many of you when it comes to Papalis.

Didn't that "Grinders" place downtown, in 1001 Woodward, also make a decent pizza?

I only had Jet's once, from the Harbortown location, and didn't particularly like it.

I'm surprised some folks like Jets. I find it cheap-tasting and very, very greasy.

Among the megachains I would say [[worst to first) Happys/Little Caesars/Hungry Howies < Jets <Dominos/Papa Johns.

The new Dominos, IMO, is actually halfway decent.

Who makes the best Pizza within the city limits of Detroit?

Gracie See gets my vote.
    They have a second location in Inkster.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    I like some of the small lesser known Pizza places best. On Mich ave near Greenfield, Pizza Kitchen makes a great pie.
    They're quite good with very friendly staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Best thing to do with a hot n now:

But ohhh, the heartburn...

Name:  Resize SANY3022.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  64.4 KB

The correct answer is Supino's.

Buddy's is definitely the best. Small Plates on Broadway also has excellent, more upscale pizza that's cooked in a wood-fired brick oven. I had a garlic shrimp pizza there a couple of weeks ago that was really, really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Z's Villa in Midtown has some pretty tasty pie; good blend of toppings and a good crust.
    You can't beat the "slice & salad" deal -- it's really three slices of pretty damn good pizza.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast