Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    agrahlma Guest

Default Best Pizza in Detroit?

Who makes the best Pizza within the city limits of Detroit?

Gracie See gets my vote.

it's not Happy's, that's for sure.

In the city limits it's the original buddy's which is an even better pie then it is at the suburban locations. Outside the city you gotta go a couple miles up conant to Louis in Hazel Park.

Within city limits, Buddy's is best.

Supino in Eastern Market is also good, though a bit over-hyped IMO.

Happy's is an atrocity.

Are you trying to start a nuclear war?

Buy Little Caesers! Support Mike Illitch! Heck spend all your paycheck at the Motor City too! Buy Season tickets to the Wings AND Tigers! Buy Atanas' 'Concouis of the City' CD!

Has Little Caesar's gotten worse, or was it always so horrible? I had a slice not too long ago [[after maybe 15 years of going without), and I think the worst supermarket frozen pizza tastes much better.

And I really liked Little Caesar's as a kid. Have my tastes changed, or did they change?

^^
    They were really good years ago, but like everything else, it starts to cheap out.

Stromberg2

agrahlma Guest

Since moving downtown I’ve been disappointed with the pizza selection. I’ve lived all over the Metro Detroit area and the best [[IMO) is Roma’s in Southgate – love the sweet sauce. I’ve been to the original Buddy’s numerous times and I just don’t find it all the great – but that’s just me. Little Skeezers tastes like the box it comes in, and Dominos is only a slight step above that. Seems like all the good pizza is in the burbs – or New York [[lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Has Little Caesar's gotten worse, or was it always so horrible? I had a slice not too long ago [[after maybe 15 years of going without), and I think the worst supermarket frozen pizza tastes much better.

And I really liked Little Caesar's as a kid. Have my tastes changed, or did they change?
    cardboard......but when the kids have friends over, it's cheap and quick.

You couldn't pay me to eat a $5 Hot and Ready. You'd think those $13 Hot and Ready's at The Joe are better

i didnt believe it, but cottage inn pizza in the layfayette park strip mall has the best pizza in the city. get there in the am when its fresh out the oven...

We've enjoyed many good pizzas at Motor City Brewing Works . The beer doesn't suck either ...

Yeah, MCBW is good. Gracie See is a real gem. I could see the place from my bedroom window as a kid, and I still go there a few times a year.

Buddy's and Supino's are both good. Niki's isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still pretty good. Pizza Papolis is always good. Of the more franchisee establishments, of which Buddy's and Pizza Papolis could be considered, I definitely have to agree with Cottage Inn and I Amicci's is pretty good.

Of course, Buddy's and Niki's get the nod for carrying on the Detroit style pizza concept. It takes a lot more than being in the Metro area or within the city limits to truly be a Detroit style pizza.

I dont ever remember Little Ceasers being so horrible as it is now...its turned into just a 5 dollar Mcpizza....toppings dont help either it just cost more and tastes just as bad...frozen pizza from the supermarket tastes much better

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    In the city limits it's the original buddy's which is an even better pie then it is at the suburban locations. Outside the city you gotta go a couple miles up conant to Louis in Hazel Park.
    ^^^This. And I know it's Chicago-style, but Pizzapapalis is one of my favorite too.

Not saying it's the best, but, I've never had a bad pizza or slice from Jet's on Jefferson in that strip mall just East of Harbortown.

On the other hand there was a Jet's [[ I think it has closed ) on 7 Mile right near Chalmers. The food there was absolutely horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    On the other hand there was a Jet's [[ I think it has closed ) on 7 Mile right near Chalmers. The food there was absolutely horrible.
    7 Mile and Hayes?

Nope, it's still there last I checked.

Pizza Papalis and Pizza Hut are the best to me

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    i didnt believe it, but cottage inn pizza in the layfayette park strip mall has the best pizza in the city. get there in the am when its fresh out the oven...
    They closed and moved into the place on Monroe in the Compuware garage where Papa Romano's used to be. Good riddance, I say. The service was usually pretty bad and more often than not I was overcharged. Seems like I always had to call them on the coupon-priced items. Makes me wonder if it was intentional.

I hate the term "back in the day", but back in the day, Shield's Bar used to make a great pizza. They still exist? Remember, I'm asking from w a y out of the area.....

Z's Villa in Midtown has some pretty tasty pie; good blend of toppings and a good crust.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I hate the term "back in the day", but back in the day, Shield's Bar used to make a great pizza. They still exist? Remember, I'm asking from w a y out of the area.....
    The original Shields on the east side [[Buddy's neighborhood rival) is gone. They still exist in at least one location in Southfield, maybe others. The pic below is the corner of Davison and Shields. Not sure if Shields was in the empty lot on the left or in the bldg. on the right.Name:  Davison and Shields.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  29.1 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast