Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I was driving around MCS on Friday. Has the stonework been cleaned? I believe someone posted that back in the summer. THe lower section of the building looks very clean, at least from Vernor. Maybe the viaduct underneath the tracks is a bit cleaner and better lit? Of course that's not Maroun's property, but any improvements there, in Roosevelt Park, and at MCS makes the area look better.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I was driving around MCS on Friday. Has the stonework been cleaned? I believe someone posted that back in the summer. THe lower section of the building looks very clean, at least from Vernor. Maybe the viaduct underneath the tracks is a bit cleaner and better lit? Of course that's not Maroun's property, but any improvements there, in Roosevelt Park, and at MCS makes the area look better.
    The limestone, to my knowledge hasn't been cleaned since 2009 when they removed some tagging from the North columns. They have however cleaned up a lot of brush around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Since it's late/early, I'll mention one thing, the architect they hired is a legitimate company who has been involved important historical renovations. Companies like that don't mess around with PR stunts, they wouldn't do the work if the money isn't there. From what I could see from outside the building alot has changed in three months, debris is cleared up, old dead electrical components have been removed from the property. I saw a lot of police drive bys in the hour I was on the property, and seeing the post from Detroit Urbex, they're not messing around.

You're right we'll see how this goes, and while the exterior appearance hasn't changed much in the last 3 months other than window removal on the top two floors and the bottom 3 floors, I look forward to this tour I'm getting and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Lets see how things go in the long term, but for me MCS and the bridge are two separate issues

MCS, is there a reason that the top 2 and bottom 3 floors were targeted first for window removal? I'm not quite understanding why this would happen in that order.

It's a business strategy. If they lease the building, most people are going to be interested in the bottom 3 floors, and the top 2 "Penthouse floors" will be coveted as well. They can lease that for a larger chunk of change, and use the revenue to start on the remaining middle floors. Completely makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    MCS, is there a reason that the top 2 and bottom 3 floors were targeted first for window removal? I'm not quite understanding why this would happen in that order.
    No clue, my only thought is maybe it will make installing new roofs easier. Since they most likely need repair, perhaps it's easier to repair them from below, and to store equipment. The roofs will likely be tar roofs, what you would typically see on the roof of a high rise.

Edit: They've also cleaned out the basements, if you drive North on Vernor you'll notice a temporary door in the middle of the West wing of the building, that door leads to the sub-basement where I'm sure they've removed a lot of electrical breakers and other boxes.

DetroitUrbex, when they updated their section on MCS, added an interesting photo showing the old hand-operated oil switches that regulated the power inside the building. Really interesting stuff in the basement.
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; October-12-11 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    simple: it's cheaper to do so. they can remove and replace lower windows without major equipment rental or going inside the building. [eg. minimizing losses when the PR stunt is over.]

You missed the part about the top two floors being completely cleaned out and windows removed.

i sure did; sorry about that. while i'm sceptical that they did the top two floors, i'll take everyone's word for it. the only reason i can think that they'd start at the top is to start minimizing water damage on the interior. usually it's open windows, not a defective roof, that lets in the most water [[both to the interior and into the void between the masonry facade and structure). starting at the top would minimize the water travelling down through the building.

there really wouldn't be a rehabilitation strategy reason for it, as they'd have to renovate/stabilize the entire building regardless of what floor they lease out first in the tower [[including elevators, infrastructure, all windows, etc.).

Maybe, since we don't have any word from the person, or group of people who have made the decision for the work to proceed, we just don't know! LOL One reason why I love this forum, the plethera of assumptions and ideas people come up with in trying to come up with a reason that is not known.

You missed the part about the top two floors being completely cleaned out and windows removed.
    I drove by there yesterday and saw windows still hanging in shreds on the top two floors.

The reason they would start on the top floors is simple. If you start at the bottom, once you close floors up, water is still getting into the building in the higher floors and trickling down from there. By starting with the roof, then moving downward, you keep water and moisture in general from getting in the floors that have already been sealed up... this was the reason for replacing all of the roofs at the same time as the windows, to limit the moisture getting in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I drove by there yesterday and saw windows still hanging in shreds on the top two floors.

Still a work in progress, I think the plastic over the windows indicates windows that have been cleared out, however like I said I haven't seen it, only was told by Mrs Maroun as she was getting into her car that "the top two floors have been completely cleaned up." So that could mean debris/bricks is organized and cleaned...I haven't seen any trash chute coming from the building yet [[not that there is a clear path to do that with, the tower is surrounded, so maybe there is a chute going through an elevator shaft, who knows).

I'll see later this month when I have a tour

That was what my assumption was, but the fact that no work has been performed on the roof [[or seemingly so, were not up there) I was just wondering why they would go about it that way.

Anything new going on down at the MCS? Did you go on that tour you kept talking about mcsdetroitfriend?

It is common that they could use an elevator shaft for a trash chute thru the demo/clean out phase. You would then have a bobcat on the ground level scooping and taking it direct to a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Anything new going on down at the MCS? Did you go on that tour you kept talking about mcsdetroitfriend?
    Meeting is tomorrow, will be taking notes and photographs

Hi all,
    The short story of the meeting today is that DIBC is 100% committed to the project, as is everyone involved. It is happening, there is no denying that. From the cleanup that I saw with my own eyes on the main floor, to the photo display they had detailing the work on the upper floors, I can tell you I was amazed with the progress.
    They intend on cleaning every floor out with a fine tooth comb, which by their estimate takes a month to a month and a half per floor to do. There is also talk of adding temporary power to the building. Every couple of days they run a sub pump to pump out any water from the basements, they have also repaired the sewer main that is attached to the building. Lots of exciting and encouraging things going on, that wasn't just talk, you could see the change. I was definitely cautiously optimistic about this happening, but after the talk and being able to walk around and see the difference [[it's been about a year and a half since I was last inside), I'm a believer.

A big deal was also made about the fact that this project is generating a lot of work for local Detroit professionals, from the clean up to the people operating the pumps, the project is putting people to work for sure.

Will post photos once I upload them to my computer

Thanks MCS, can't wait for the pictures.

Some are currently online on my group's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michig...y/188060348704

Thanks for the nice images and update status mcsdetroitfriend!

You mentioned a sump pump in the sub-basesment. That is a common feature of Detroit high rises. When buildings go down to bedrock [[or near enough), the sub-basements of the buildings have to have a nearly continuously running sump pump. Apparently this is related to Detroit's water table. Even the former Michigan Theatre, now a parking garage, although it has a separate basement from the Michigan Building proper, it requires a working sump pump around the clock.

That is why buildings that were abandoned for a long time, such as the Book Cadillac, and the former Capitol Theatre had flooding in the basements, and in the case of the Capitol... the orchestra pit was also flooded with a piano floating in it...

Hi all,
    The short story of the meeting today is that DIBC is 100% committed to the project, as is everyone involved. It is happening, there is no denying that. From the cleanup that I saw with my own eyes on the main floor, to the photo display they had detailing the work on the upper floors, I can tell you I was amazed with the progress.
    They intend on cleaning every floor out with a fine tooth comb, which by their estimate takes a month to a month and a half per floor to do. There is also talk of adding temporary power to the building. Every couple of days they run a sub pump to pump out any water from the basements, they have also repaired the sewer main that is attached to the building. Lots of exciting and encouraging things going on, that wasn't just talk, you could see the change. I was definitely cautiously optimistic about this happening, but after the talk and being able to walk around and see the difference [[it's been about a year and a half since I was last inside), I'm a believer.

A big deal was also made about the fact that this project is generating a lot of work for local Detroit professionals, from the clean up to the people operating the pumps, the project is putting people to work for sure.

Will post photos once I upload them to my computer
    Thanks mcsdetroit ! , although I'm sure EVERYONE is grateful that SOMETHING is finally being done after 30 plus years ! , anyone with any knowledge of the MCS, knows that matty is only doing this to "clean up" to "clean up ",his HORRIBLE image in the city. I'm sorry but his past actions speaks volumes ! He's a greedy billionaire who could care less about the city of Detroit and the people who live in southwest Detroit .
    If he spent as much time and effort towards the MCS as he has toward his wish for a second span of the bridge , more people would be willing to give him a pass, HOWEVER , this guys is a slum lord and NO ONE should be "drinking the kool aid ".
    This was an invite only event and guess who was invited ??? the same folks he's backing at the state capital and a few select folks from the hood , to show , " see i'm doing good " . Give me a f **king break !
    I'm telling you folks don't let up on this ...... bag ! This does not make up for 30 plus years of neglect and treating the folks in southwest Detroit like they are in the way of his trucks way , on the way to his bridge ,while they drive through their hood .

Are you kidding me ! .. you know what I better stop cause I'm so pissed .

I'm glad that some work is being done on that beautiful building , however that "gentleman" is a ------- !

The article is no longer available. Any other links? What did it say?

Sorry about that. Still working out some kinks with knowledge of this site- meant to post elsewhere.

Well the folks here certainly are no "Matty Fan Club" by any means... but in his last few years on this planet... whatever negative legacy he may leave.... there is one thing that the New York Times said way back in 1963 that comes to mind. That was when the famous and glorious Pennsylvania Station was being torn down for the ugly building known as Madison Square Gardens.

That editorial comment was "we may be remembered more for what we have destroyed, than what we have saved..."

Oh the irony if that were the case for Matty in future decades, if his actions today help save the MCS for future generations of Detroiters.... after all... remember James Scott? He was that unscrupulous scoundrel of the late 19th century that left his fortune for a large memorial to his name. Due to the corrosive nature of time... he is remembered today for the wonderful fountain and basin on Belle Isle... and just some vague references about his character!

All I keep thinking of is the word "sucker."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast