Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Any updates on what is going on?
    I drive by there several times a week and I haven't seen any activity for several weeks now. They tore out the old windows on the lower level and put new frames in but no glass. To be honest, I don't expect anything else to be done. This was a PR move by Maroun.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I drive by there several times a week and I haven't seen any activity for several weeks now. They tore out the old windows on the lower level and put new frames in but no glass. To be honest, I don't expect anything else to be done. This was a PR move by Maroun.
    Yep, I'm surprised anyone thought the shallow old scrooge was going to renovate

Let's not try to let the anti-Maroun venom get in the way of reality folks... maybe, just maybe the large custom order for windows is held up at the factory??

I blame China.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Let's not try to let the anti-Maroun venom get in the way of reality folks... maybe, just maybe the large custom order for windows is held up at the factory??
    If they are Kawneer windows, and I don't know if they are. But their factory in Bloomsburg, PA closed due to flooding causing delays. I think the flooding was caused by the hurricane, but I didn't ask the Kawneer rep specifics.

Were they only planning to fix the first floor windows? Because the rest of them on every other floor are still hanging in pieces. You'd think they could keep going on the demo if they're waiting for new windows.

And why on earth should Maroun get the benefit of the doubt for anything at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    If they are Kawneer windows, and I don't know if they are. But their factory in Bloomsburg, PA closed due to flooding causing delays. I think the flooding was caused by the hurricane, but I didn't ask the Kawneer rep specifics.
    They should have used wallside, " we can do that , we are the factory ! " And they are local in Michigan .or majic they are in the area also , you could "kill" two birds with one stone , clean up and fix the windows and Help a Detroit area company :-) !

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Were they only planning to fix the first floor windows? Because the rest of them on every other floor are still hanging in pieces. You'd think they could keep going on the demo if they're waiting for new windows.

And why on earth should Maroun get the benefit of the doubt for anything at this point?
    My feelings on this coincide with my feelings on the United Artists Building/Theatre. Yeah it's late in the game for both buildings... but even a partial restoration is still going to cost beaucoup bucks, and as long as the buildings are mothballed... then I can swallow my indignation against both billionaire owners until more tangible measures are seen.

Things are already looking better for the MCS... as well as for Roosevelt Park. Even the state representative is giving Maroun the benefit of the doubt... "on the MCS only".

I save my indigation for the Bridge threads....

As for the MCS [[and UA complex)... we'll have to wait and see...

I have some experience in the window business and it can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to build the windows. Although I hope this renovation is true, I too am somewhat skeptical when Manny is concerned.

I'm not sure Wallside's windows would cut it for this particular project... the windows have to meet historical standards and each one is a custom fit for the large windows. Not something you can just pick up with the local wholesaler.

Was the plan to completely vacate the building of its windows, then install them throughout? Were they just going to do the main waiting room right now or section by section of the building? And wouldn't it make sense to take out all the windows and re-do the roof's first so water won't get in before putting in new windows? Guess I'm a little confused by the scope of work and timeline that is being followed by the contractor. Anyone have some insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I'm not sure Wallside's windows would cut it for this particular project... the windows have to meet historical standards and each one is a custom fit for the large windows. Not something you can just pick up with the local wholesaler.
    Exactly. Usually you'll work with a glass supplier and fabricator and they'll custom make the windows to the architect's specification. It's hard for me to say whether custom windows are more expensive, because so many buildings are constructed with custom designed windows, that it's pretty much the norm.

The question is whether they'll buy windows that are performance based. You can buy cheaper stuff that looks like the original, but does not perform against solar heat gain and is poor insulating....it's simply aesthetic. Buying high performing windows would assure us the building has a future of functioning at some point.

We manufactured these replacement window on site from scratch and cut our own glass,insurance would not let us keep the upper story ones functional but they look as original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floridan_Hotel

My feelings on this coincide with my feelings on the United Artists Building/Theatre. Yeah it's late in the game for both buildings... but even a partial restoration is still going to cost beaucoup bucks, and as long as the buildings are mothballed... then I can swallow my indignation against both billionaire owners until more tangible measures are seen.

Things are already looking better for the MCS... as well as for Roosevelt Park. Even the state representative is giving Maroun the benefit of the doubt... "on the MCS only".

I save my indigation for the Bridge threads....

As for the MCS [[and UA complex)... we'll have to wait and see...
    I totally agree Gistok - any progress is preferable to further deterioration. You have to give owners credit for putting money into abandoned properties particularly when the economy is so awful. Even partial 'minor' repairs such as this are very expensive.

If the properties had reverted to city or state ownership they would both probably be gone by now.

There is very few homes left in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I totally agree Gistok - any progress is preferable to further deterioration. You have to give owners credit for putting money into abandoned properties particularly when the economy is so awful. Even partial 'minor' repairs such as this are very expensive.

If the properties had reverted to city or state ownership they would both probably be gone by now.
    No.

They don't deserve credit, they are obligated to keep their buildings in good condition. If you own a building, maintain it...even if it's been 100% vacant for decades. If you can't do that, get out of the business. Both parties entered the game too late on this and are just patting themselves on the back. Very little of the public realizes how much more f-cked up these properties became under their ownership.

Stopped by today and saw lots

First, the top two floors have been cleaned out, this according to Mrs. Maroun who was exiting the building as I arrived:

Also saw these temporary structures that are covering what used to be skylights for certain rooms in the basement [[ie the boiler room on the northwest side).

Also on the southwest side they've added a locked temporary door to an entrance to the sub basement. Very interesting stuff and apparently they're doing a lot in there, according to what i was told.

Good to see progress still. Was getting worried by the lack of [[or proof) of work taking place.

Detroiturbex.com's Facebook Page has posted an album showing how seriously the construction is being taken, entitled "Seriously, stay out of the depot," shows four different law enforcement agencies responding to people inside the depot: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9112636&type=1

I wish I had creative way of expressing the naivety of this particular thread. Connect the dots people, this may be one of the biggest publicity stunts in Detroit history.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I wish I had creative way of expressing the naivety of this particular thread. Connect the dots people, this may be one of the biggest publicity stunts in Detroit history.
    Maybe you tagged this? My group has a tour with the Bridge Co. and some community leaders coming up, will post photographs of the progress

Well I think you're wrong... the dots don't lead to Canada... and Canada is a stumbling block that no amount of restoration of the MCS is going to change... so refresh us with your insight as to how "mothballing" the MCS is bad? He's not restoring it... and even if he were, it's not going to get his second bridge built.

Neither a 2nd bridge nor a restored MCS is going to be done in his lifetime anyway...

That is not me but the person who posted on the fence knows what is up and sees clearly through the B.S. I would gladly sign that piece of paper in the picture if it still exists, I claim only the ability to connect the dots and to be a realist with business experience. In addition, you should investigate the actions of the family involved[[in the U.S. and Canada) and see where that leads you. Revisit this thread 2 years from now and let's see if the MCS is under full re-development, re-development is complete and in use or the building is fully secure and the building is fully moth balled. Compare real construction projects to this one and you may be enlightened. Anyone can take a photo of their neighbor taking out their trash. Until the local experts of historical re-development are involved and there is an actual use for the building, keep dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Maybe you tagged this? My group has a tour with the Bridge Co. and some community leaders coming up, will post photographs of the progress

Since it's late/early, I'll mention one thing, the architect they hired is a legitimate company who has been involved important historical renovations. Companies like that don't mess around with PR stunts, they wouldn't do the work if the money isn't there. From what I could see from outside the building alot has changed in three months, debris is cleared up, old dead electrical components have been removed from the property. I saw a lot of police drive bys in the hour I was on the property, and seeing the post from Detroit Urbex, they're not messing around.

You're right we'll see how this goes, and while the exterior appearance hasn't changed much in the last 3 months other than window removal on the top two floors and the bottom 3 floors, I look forward to this tour I'm getting and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Lets see how things go in the long term, but for me MCS and the bridge are two separate issues
    That is not me but the person who posted on the fence knows what is up and sees clearly through the B.S. I would gladly sign that piece of paper in the picture if it still exists, I claim only the ability to connect the dots and to be a realist with business experience. In addition, you should investigate the actions of the family involved[[in the U.S. and Canada) and see where that leads you. Revisit this thread 2 years from now and let's see if the MCS is under full re-development, re-development is complete and in use or the building is fully secure and the building is fully moth balled. Compare real construction projects to this one and you may be enlightened. Anyone can take a photo of their neighbor taking out their trash. Until the local experts of historical re-development are involved and there is an actual use for the building, keep dreaming.

Mcsdetroitfriend... I am cautiously optimistic like you are... and for the same reason... they're only mothballing the buildiing, and making it "not look like an eyesore"... don't know why that's so hard to understand. Any anyone with any sense knows that the bridge and building are mutually exclusive. Like I said... they could spend $1 billion on the MCS and cover it in gold... the folks over in Windsor don't give a rats ass... they don't want the bridge. So whatever happens on our side of the border is inconsequential.

I can't see anyone who's posted here is in any way naiive as Rjlj claims... it's just a mothballing... nothing more... Matty doesn't have time on his side... and likely won't be around anyway... to see either a use for the MCS, nor a second bridge.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast