Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bing: I'm not getting enough help

Mackinac Island -- Detroit Mayor Dave Bing knows that his staff is slowing down his progress toward reviving Detroit, but he also sees no solution at hand.
    In a brief interview during the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy Conference, a less buoyant than usual mayor acknowledged the shortcomings of his management unit, saying, "The team in place is not as strong as I'd like it to be in terms of its effectiveness and expertise."
    The mayor bristled a bit, though, in addressing the whispers about dysfunction in his office that are increasing among the business leaders gathered here.
    "I get a lot of lip service from a lot of people about wanting to be supportive, but not much help," he said. "Everybody has opinions. What we need is more help meeting our many needs."
    Asked who he was referring to, Bing singled out the business community.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110603/...#ixzz1OFsEnUqG

Change the city charter to an Emergency charter and get it done now if you wait until Nov then figure in the holidays then the new year nothing is going to move forward until mid summer next.It is hard to get support from the business community if the house in not in order.

I get a lot of lip service from a lot of people about wanting to be supportive, but not much help
    So he doesn't like empty chest puffing that can't be backed up.

Funny that.

Maybe he's not up to the job.

Does Synder have a brother?

I posted about this earlier this afternoon over on my blog in more detail.

I find it wonderfully ironic that Mayor Dave Bing feels that he is getting nothing but lip service from the business community. Now he knows how most Detroit residents feel.

Mayor Bing was elected on the promise of "change with a sense of urgency." Unfortunately, we have seen very little change and even less urgency.

There is still time for him to turn things around. I back Mayor Bing in the special election in 2009. I hope he is able to, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that he will.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2011/...p-service.html

Default Pathetic

Bing just sounds like someone completely out of his element. Green's departure is clearly a huge blow. Given the instability in his office, what high-quality person is going to take the number 2 job? The power struggle is over - Ms Dumas has won, but she may have destroyed the kingdom in the process.

Mayor Bing asked for help, and Synder like any concerned gov is going to help. I think this really reflects poorly on our mayor. He seems like he can't evaluate and choose the proper people for his inner circle.

"Bing said Snyder has offered his own staff to help him hire new aides.
    "I don't know what people he has, but I would welcome that help," Bing said from the Detroit Regional Chamber's policy conference."

All that our mayor needs to do is stop the Machiavelian games and let his appointees do their jobs.

Its seems simple, but this may end up being his greatest test of leadership. Problem is old habits are hard to break.

After two years on the job, it is clear that Bing is completely lost and in over his head. The constant turnover, ineptness, and scandals of his appointees is simply unacceptable.

I am extremely disappointed by his excuse-making and responsibility-dodging.

His attempt to blame the business community for not "helping him" is weak and pathetic. Over the last few years, the Detroit business community has been bending over backwards to help the city.

The local business community has donated millions of dollars to fund the Clean Downtown project. The local business community has donated millions of dollars to build and operate Campus Martius Park and the Riverwalk. Wayne State, the DMC, and Henry Ford Hospital have dedicated millions to fund an incentive program to lure residents into midtown.

Dan Gilbert has turned into a major force, buying up downtown buildings and getting new tenants to move downtown. Blue Cross Blue Shield just recently strengthened their commitment to Detroit by moving thousands of workers downtown.

Detroit business owners have pledged over $100 million in private donations to help fund a light rail system on Woodward, which is now mired in a disagreement over track placement.

It seems that the Detroit business community has stepped up BIG TIME over the last few years, while Bing has accomplished nothing other than the Cobo agreement, which was fully supported and set up before he came on the scene.

It is time for Bing to stop finger-pointing and making excuses. Instead of complaining about the business community not helping, he should get them around a table and hammer out an agreement on the Woodward light rail project. Everybody is on board, we just need a leader to keep all the players on track.

Buy American Guest

Bing needs to look outside of the City of Detroit for qualified people to help him make important decisions about running the City efficiently, It seems to me that so far, the administration isn't doing a good job. Instead, Bing is pandering to the to the citizens of Detroit and the Clownsil.

The city is broke. That seems clear enough i suppose. I would like to know why. Is it a lack of tax revenue? Is the city trying to be bigger than it needs to be [[city employees)? Is it corruption? I have questions and no answers. I realize that a lot of Detroit residents are at or below the poverty line. Receiving assistance. Are they not paying property taxes? Im asking because i dont know. If the city was firing on all possible cylinders would it still be in the red?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Maybe he's not up to the job.

Does Synder have a brother?
    LMAO!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post

I am extremely disappointed by his excuse-making and responsibility-dodging.

It is time for Bing to stop finger-pointing and making excuses.
    In retrospect his responses regarding DPS early into his administration and while campaigning should have been a huge red-flag mostly into how a Bing administation would look.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing: I'll take Gov. Rick Snyder's help with hiring

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...-s-help-hiring

Buy American Guest

Bing looks tired.

Yeah, Detroit can do that to you sometimes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Bing looks tired.

Well if he does not get some help soon help will be arriving by way of an EFM!

I think one of the problems with getting quality people to fill positions in Detroit, is that the city government is so screwed up that the working conditions are undesirable, and you're basically guaranteed to look bad. So the good people apply elsewhere, where they can enjoy their jobs and advance their careers, and you're left with everyone else. Or the good people who get the jobs get burned out or fed up.

If the governor can help get good people in those positions I would take the help.
    Last edited by Jason; June-05-11 at 11:14 PM.

..the governor could appoint people to audit detroit operations..

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Bing needs to look outside of the City of Detroit for qualified people to help him make important decisions about running the City efficiently, It seems to me that so far, the administration isn't doing a good job. Instead, Bing is pandering to the to the citizens of Detroit and the Clownsil.
    You'd think it would make good sense for anyone who is Mayor of Detroit to disregard its citizens as they are not worthy of representation. I just don't understand Bing not understanding that basic tenant.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; June-06-11 at 12:23 PM.

Of course the KING BING is not getting some help for NEO-CONS who run the show in the Mackinaw confernce. They all TALK and no walk. KING BING doesn't want to be at a poltical show and stand at the podium talking to show horses about Detroit's negative image. He wants to get the job done while he's mayor. Most NEO-CONS state and county reps. see him as too old, and lost some appeal, giving the image of Detroit as a African American city that has aged and decayed since the Coleman A. Young years. After he left the conference its back to pugging up the common urban leaks which he's having trouble patching.

Folks, we Detroiters and suburbanites had to help KING BING put this city back together that way ot was during the days of the booming automobile and industrial commerce from 1910s to 1950s and make it last for 1000 years for more.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because politics is a circus complete with a ringmaster, family with animals.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well if he does not get some help soon help will be arriving by way of an EFM!
    From what I've been hearing I got the impression that Bing would be the EFM

Bing needs to put the cup down for a second and realize he is a politician now. the city of Detroit is not HIS. its the peoples. he must realize he has to become a better politician. the whole my way or the highway method does not work in politics, especially in this city. he must humble himself and allow his employees to suceed or fail. failing is something all ppl will do at some point. if its not too severe dust them off and teach them what they did wrong and correct it. its alot of rookies down there and everything wont be perfect,
    another thing Bing needs to do is get a damn clue. He seems to not have mastered anything. still no plans for bringing Detroit back. still nothing inmotion. He brags about tearing down more houses well wooopty do. Detroit needs alot more than just vacant lots. cause what diff does it really make if you tear down a whold block except for a couple houses really going to make if you have no idea what to do w/ the land

A couple of things that need to be pointed out.

1. Bing has shown that he cannot be trusted.

2. Bing has based his administration on a failed business model [[The Bing Group's).

At this point, the best high level talent he'll be able to get is someone that's retired from someplace else. Those with burgeoning careers aren't going to give up what they have for an administration that has a higher turnover rate than a fast food restaurant. At the rate Bing is going, Detroit might as well be called McCity.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    A couple of things that need to be pointed out.

1. Bing has shown that he cannot be trusted.

2. Bing has based his administration on a failed business model [[The Bing Group's).

At this point, the best high level talent he'll be able to get is someone that's retired from someplace else. Those with burgeoning careers aren't going to give up what they have for an administration that has a higher turnover rate than a fast food restaurant. At the rate Bing is going, Detroit might as well be called McCity.
    Please elaborate on #1.

http://detnews.com/article/20110607/...--inspire-team

Friday night, during his New Rules segment, Bill Maher pointed out that a politician cannot run a city, state or federal government like a business because running a city or state or federal government is not about turning a profit. Bing ran for mayor under the myth that being a successful businessman, he can run Detroit like a business and make it successful.

Bing [[Snyder's day is coming) has found out that he cannot run Detroit like a business. He thought he was going to ride in on his white horse from Franklin and save the day. He was wrong because he came into the job with the wrong mindset. I give him credit for wanting to do the job but when you hire many holdovers from the Kilpatrick administration, you were asking for trouble.