Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This kind of closed-minded, self-righteous thinking is why we have so many problems today. Too many people think their way is the only way and they are bound and determined to make everyone agree with them come hell or high water.

What ever happened to freedom of choice and self-determination?
    Seriously, that 13074Glenfield is insulting people and pretty much telling them they are dumb while screaming that his personal, very close minded and uneducated opinion is right. I cant stand people like that.

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, as everyone does, but wow have a little respect for others regardless of how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    http://finalexitnetwork.org/

Final Exit Network

Jack Kevorkian brought out the whole ethical, moral, etc. controversy on the right to die bottom line. I do believe if this is someone's choice it should be a VERY informed choice that is understood by the patient, family members, loved ones. I belive that all means should be taken into account medically in regards to the medical condition, mental health, chance of recovery, pain management, etc... but after all that that I believe that should a person choose to end their lives in a medically dignified setting it should be their choice. We show more mercy to suffering animals.
    ....indeed

I used to grab lunch with Dr. Jack at the old Corner Coney in downtown Royal Oak years and years ago. Even at the height of his controversy did he seem like a man out to be a freak or be a ghoul. I thought that he was genuinely wanting to help people and their families who were suffering. He was definitely a polarizing figure and I never thought any worse of the man for taking a stand. As a person who has had to deal with a person who had a terminal disease, I can truly understand and respect his position as a doctor- retired or not.

The Corner Coney changed hands years ago. Dr. Jack is now ordering at the Big Counter now. God rest his soul as well as those he tried to help. May they all find inner peace.

RIP Dr. Kervorkian. He might not have been the best messenger, but the message was spot on. Two states now allow physician-assisted suicide for which his influence had to be essential. More will follow once we come to accept that the choice to end life peacefully and pain free is a personal liberty and not a state affair.

For the Taliban in our midst who would force us to observe their versions of the Koran I accept your right shout your beliefs from the treetops but when you want to put them into our laws I will oppose those efforts with everything I have.

Wink and nod assisted suicide happens all the time as Doctors make terminal patients 'comfortable' with massive amounts of narcotics that hasten swift and pain-free ends. Codifying this process will protect doctors who do the right thing.

One more pinnacle Dr. Jack achieved. At the height of his controversies, polling research found that he had the greatest name recognition in the USA. A true Detroit legend has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    For the Taliban in our midst who would force us to observe their versions of the Koran I accept your right shout your beliefs from the treetops but when you want to put them into our laws I will oppose those efforts with everything I have.
    It's not just the closet Taliban either. Some are cloaked with Bibles and screaming from the church pulpits too. All of these extremists supposedly read their holy scriptures and want to speak on behalf of their god[[s) and tell everyone else how to live.

Obviously we can't live in total anarchy but there has to be some sense of human dignity that we can all agree upon when it comes to matters of dying, isn't there? I think that was ultimately what Jack Kevorkian wanted for people in the long run.

I just hope that someone like Dr. Kevorkian is around if and when I need him. Bless him and all others who are there to help people die on their own terms. To choose the way I leave is real freedom. He's a hero in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    Of course you want to change the subject away from what Kevorkian himself specifically advocated, but this is not about religion. It is about a man who advocated slicing people's brains up while they are alive. Did you read his material? Did you read his book? Did you read any portions of it? Or were you too lazy to do that before you fired off a ridiculous response? Not wanting to slice people up in the name of quackery is hardly prudish, folks.
    And you don't think there are plenty of psychiatrists who would like to know what exactly is going on in the brains of their patients? Instead they have to guess and constantly adjust and change medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    RIP Dr. Kervorkian. He might not have been the best messenger, but the message was spot on. Two states now allow physician-assisted suicide for which his influence had to be essential. More will follow once we come to accept that the choice to end life peacefully and pain free is a personal liberty and not a state affair.

Wink and nod assisted suicide happens all the time as Doctors make terminal patients 'comfortable' with massive amounts of narcotics that hasten swift and pain-free ends. Codifying this process will protect doctors who do the right thing.
    Spot on is right. My Dad's long losing slide from diabetes, was definitely helped by "comfort care" provided by one of our local catholic oriented hospitals, I truly believe that without Kevorkian's pushing this topic into the limelight, this particular hospital, like many others, would have just cut the "bad" parts of my Dad's body off to "save" him, and do so maybe as recent as twenty-thirty years ago, because "they" knew best-- Never mind issues of quality of life or family wishes. He wasn't terminal, so they should save him, right? I call bullshit. I'm glad my father got the benefit of an "out" when HE determined that his life wasn't worth living anymore.... Dr. Jack might have said/done some wacky shit-- But I, for one am glad he pushed the envelope on this topic-- For my Dad, if nothing else.

Ironically, I was listening to Kevorkian's music CD when I first heard of his passing.

I believe a pathologist is an MD -- Same training and amount of time -- I thought he had a medical license [albeit he hadn't practiced in years] -- I may be wrong

The economy is so bad that Kevorkian had to die of old age.

[I made that joke up in another thread, and I knew you guys would be dying to hear it.]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3