Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Hybrid View

Default 88,000 Michiganians left state in 2009

Detroit News staff and wire

Michigan lost 88,000 residents in 2009 — second only to the state of New York in net migration — as thousands left the recession-plagued state for jobs elsewhere, according to Census Bureau data released this week.

At the same time, domestic migration last year reached its lowest level since the government began tracking it, the Census Bureau said, citing a separate study of 100,000 Americans.

Similar Michigan data will be released later this year. The national development reflects the lingering effects of the Great Recession, which curbed Americans' mobility.

About 10.5 million Americans changed counties between 2009 and 2010, or about 3.5 percent of the population, the lowest percentage since 1947, when the government first began tracking the numbers, according to census data. About 15.8 million people moved between 2004 and 2005, when the economy was healthy.

The recession and effects of the housing crisis have continued to freeze Americans in place, said Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey Institute.

But in Michigan, where the annual jobless rate was 13.3 percent in 2009, many residents packed up to find work in other states with relatively low unemployment rates, said demographer Kurt Metzger, director of the nonprofit Data Driven Detroit.

So Michigan lost more folks in 2009 then Detroit lost in any single year since the 2000 census.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanAlliance View Post
    So Michigan lost more folks in 2009 then Detroit lost in any single year since the 2000 census.
    Trying to figure out your point.

Another 88,000 would leave if they could.

I'm surprised it was that low.

From Sunday's Free Press: Up North Michigan real estate: What you can get for your money
    The Coffey family of Chicago take a 320-mile drive whenever possible to spend time in their new Traverse City summer home, set amid pine forests and rolling hills filled with cherry trees and grapevines with a stunning view of the turquoise waters on the east arm of Grand Traverse Bay.

"Every time we go up, there's a new restaurant, a new place to check out," said Mike Coffey, 38,...
    This is to be a series of stories. Others will cover West Michigan and Metro Detroit.

Load up the uhauls.

Escape from Planet Michigan

I know it's only one year and it probably isn't good to extrapolate off such a small sample size [[in the middle of the auto crisis, no less), but can you imagine if this trend holds up for the next census?

The mass exodus is just beginning. With that Clown Snyder pulling the strings, another 88,000.00 should leave before Jan 1st when his hideous tax proposals go into effect. Last one out Michigan, please turn out the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The mass exodus is just beginning. With that Clown Snyder pulling the strings, another 88,000.00 should leave before Jan 1st when his hideous tax proposals go into effect. Last one out Michigan, please turn out the lights.
    So the 88,000 mass exodus has already left Michigan with that clown Granholm pulling the strings, just like nearly all the 250,000 left Detroit during the same clown's term. It's clear you are hoping [[desperately) that it's going to get worse. You might get an unpleasent surprise and things get better - but you can always hope for the worst. How soon before you leave Michigan? Will the lights still be on?
    Last edited by coracle; May-31-11 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    So the 88,000 mass exodus has already left Michigan with that clown Granholm pulling the strings, just like nearly all the 250,000 left Detroit during the same clown's term. It's clear you are hoping [[desperately) that it's going to get worse. You might get an unpleasent surprise and things get better - but you can always hope for the worst. How soon before you leave Michigan? Will the lights still be on?
    You can justify Snyder's moves all you want. He took away jobs with the film industry, taxing the seniors and lining the already overfilled pockets of corporations. And what if things get worst under his watch? I'm not desperately hoping things get worst, but what rebuttal will you have if they do? With his changes, more people will continue to leave whether you like it or not. And yes, I'm considering it as well.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-31-11 at 01:52 PM.

You can justify Snyder's moves all you want. He took away jobs with the film industry, taxing the seniors and lining the already overfilled pockets of corporations. And what if things get worst under his watch? What rebuttal will you have then? He's not off to a very good start.
    You're clutching at straws mate. I never mentioned him; you did; because you fear he might not be as bad as you hope he is. I think he's off to a great start - he's got all the Lefties wringing their hands about the small unimportant stuff like film industry and private pensions while he's really altering things big time behind the scenes.
    Last edited by coracle; May-31-11 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    You're clutching at straws mate. I never mentioned him; you did; because you fear he might not be as bad as you hope he is. I think he's off to a great start - he's got all the Lefties wringing their hands about the small unimportant stuff like film industry and private pensions while he's really altering things big time behind the scenes.
    Yeah, it's all unimportant in your eyes. You must be rich like him. The rich don't give a _hit about anything unless it pertains to them being rich. The middle class is history to them.

bartock Guest

You can justify Snyder's moves all you want. He took away jobs with the film industry, taxing the seniors and lining the already overfilled pockets of corporations. And what if things get worst under his watch? What rebuttal will you have then? He's not off to a very good start.
    First bold - AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Can't believe there is even a debate about this anymore

As to the second, AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! It is the end of an exemption, not imposing taxes, and large corporations are taxed. Look at how the taxes on pensions work, it isn't a straight-line tax.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011105290433

There is some momentum building with all of this. I found it interesting that there were two opinion pieces fairly favorable to what's been done so far in Sunday's Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011105290506
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011105290454

As someone referenced earlier, the Chicken Little stuff is a bit overblown.

lilpup Guest

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I have zero issues with Snyder taxing pension income.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I have zero issues with Snyder taxing pension income.
    I guess not if you're still working. But your day will come.

When the housing market crashed in 2009 so did the jobs here in Michigan and middle income folks who found job opportunties in a another city have to move leaving behind their families and friends. Even their kids cried when have to lose their friends. But mommy and daddy have to go where the jobs and money, milk and honey flowing otherwise lose their hard earned possessions and be homeless.

My sister and my father have to move west because their are job opportunities and a better life.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I wonder how the Japanesse Auto Industry is doing?

Neda, I miss you so.

bartock Guest

I guess not if you're still working. But your day will come.
    Most of us still working will have their day come when we get no retirement income or assistance via Social Security and/or Medicare despite having paid into it our entire working lives. I'd much rather be taxed on retirement income than have no income at all.

You are right in a sense, though. Michigan was one of only a few states that even had the pension tax exemption. They fixed that hole.