Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    You're clutching at straws mate. I never mentioned him; you did; because you fear he might not be as bad as you hope he is. I think he's off to a great start - he's got all the Lefties wringing their hands about the small unimportant stuff like film industry and private pensions while he's really altering things big time behind the scenes.
    Yeah, it's all unimportant in your eyes. You must be rich like him. The rich don't give a _hit about anything unless it pertains to them being rich. The middle class is history to them.

Making Michigan more business-friendly is a good thing. Personally, I'm grateful that an "evil, greedy corporation" cuts me a paycheck [[seriously, have you heard those ads on the radio?). Tax cuts for business may not immediately guarantee more jobs, but it certainly can't hurt.

High taxes in conjunction with specialized tax breaks and hand-outs isn't a long-term solution. Isn't it somewhat telling that Hollywood fled from Michigan once the rumors begun that the tax breaks would be reduced? They were looking for freebies. I don't doubt that jobs were created, but at what cost? What about all of the other businesses during that period that weren't being paid generously to operate in the state? Doesn't seem fair.

As someone who plans on staying/working in the state for the foreseeable future, I'm much more concerned about the viability of the state's employers than I am about a small tax increase to the retirees. Sorry, but most of us in our 20's and 30's have witnessed nothing but layoffs, paycuts and reductions in benefits throughout our entire career. We will never experience loyalty and the "taken care of" mentality of the past generations. Pensions don't even really exist anymore, and if they do, they are defined-contribution plans barely discernable from a 401[[k).

Business is all about the bottom line, and ours just became a lot more attractive. Michigan needs to make sure it boosts its competitiveness in the coming years to ensure it's a place future generations can thrive in.