Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I remember when WABX had offices in Oak Park, but would give their mailing address online as "Detroit, Michigan" with the zipcode for Oak Park. Supposedly to keep their urban cred.

if and when space is cleared out from the abandoned parts of the city there is more than enough room to create new TV and Radio station grounds..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    In the NFL there are several that aren't in the city limits of the city that they are named for here are the one's that I can name:

*Washington Redskins
    *New York Giants
    *New York Jets
    *Dallas Cowboys
    *Miami Dolphins
    *Buffalo Bills
    *New England Patriots [[I consider them a Boston team regardless of the New England name)
    *Arizona Cardinals

That is 8 of 32 teams.

In MLB

*Texas Rangers [[they play in Arlington about halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth and aren't in an urban enviornment)
    *Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [[I don't care that they have Anaheim in their name if they had stayed with the name Anaheim Angels then I wouldn't have included them here).
    *Florida Marlins [[they'll be renamed the Miami Marlins when they move into their new stadium next year and will be removed from the list but currently they don't play in Miami).
    *Tampa Bay Rays [[I consider them a Tampa team and not a St. Petersburg team, hince the Tampa Bay name and for the record all the other teams in the area play in Tampa).

In the NBA:

*Detroit Pistons

In the NHL:

*New York Islanders
    *Florida Panthers [[Miami team if you ask me)
    *Phoenix Coyotes

Good list, although I will challenge you on the Tampa Bay Rays. I don't know if you've ever been to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, but while St. Pete is the smaller of the two, it is a decent sized city in its own right. Also, the Ray's home, Tropicana Field, is very much in an urban area within the city limits of St. Pete.

The reason why the Bucs, Lightning, and Rays are given the name "Tampa Bay" is because of the somewhat intense rivalry between the two cities. If the team owners had given their teams the geographic moniker of simply being the Tampa Buccaneers, Tampa Lightning, and St. Petersburg Rays, they would have alienated residents from the other city/county and it could have had an effect on their business. By giving the more all-encompassing name of "Tampa Bay", they can sell their product to BOTH cities without any alienation.

Bottom line is that I don't think the Rays should be on your list.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3