Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    This is not a good thing or a good day for Detroit. Say what you will about the show or the tax credit. There are worse shows here that will continue on like Hung and Hardcore Pawn.

The film credit may have not made fiscal sense to some bean counter types but it was bringing work and money to the local economy. Axing it without replacing it with some other type of job creator was pure stupidity.
    I think the point was that it wasn't making any fiscal sense, and at the end of the day it really wasn't bringing work and money to the local economy other than the handful of people the FREEP interviews everyday trying to convince its readers that $200 million dollars in taxpayer money was "worth it" because less than half of that money actually came back to the state in taxes. And, objectively, the show really wasn't that good. Better at the end than the beginning, but just not that good.

The letter from James McDaniel was nice and all, but could have done without the political second part of it.

Agree with RickBeall. Maybe in 15-20 years the cycle will start up again.
    Last edited by bartock; May-17-11 at 02:29 PM. Reason: MacDonald, McDaniel

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I guess I appreciate that the show existed [[being set in Detroit and all that), but I didn't like having such a poorly done show associated so much with Detroit.

I only watched a few episodes and I only managed that because it was set in Detroit. It was neat to see what they would do at first and it was fun picking out the filming locations, but the show itself was sub par. People said it got better as it went along but I don't think it could have improved as much as it needed to.
    I lived in Detroit so long ago [[left in'84) that I didn't recognize anything. That's why I watched some of the episodes. But, the story line was dismal and the characters were too serious in an uninteresting way. oh well.

But, Detroit is mentioned a lot in the news and as a metaphor, so maybe something else will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Its been a tough year for shows that are not reality based. Chicago Code which I thought was hands down better than Detroit 1-8-7 was cancelled as well as AMW. If times were different and reality shows weren't so popular I could have seen Detroit 1-8-7 stick around at least for a couple of seasons.
    America's Most Wanted was cancelled , but will still have quarterly shows

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Wire is the greatest television show or series ever made. At least that's what they tell me.
    That's always going to be subject to debate. Even though I personally think that whoever told you that, told you right. I can't think of any show that was more authentic. The things that happened on the show were extremely accurate with what happened in Baltimore. Hell, there have been plenty of parallels with that show and what's happened in Detroit. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I think the point was that it wasn't making any fiscal sense, and at the end of the day it really wasn't bringing work and money to the local economy other than the handful of people the FREEP interviews everyday trying to convince its readers that $200 million dollars in taxpayer money was "worth it" because less than half of that money actually came back to the state in taxes. And, objectively, the show really wasn't that good. Better at the end than the beginning, but just not that good.

The letter from James McDaniel was nice and all, but could have done without the political second part of it.

Agree with RickBeall. Maybe in 15-20 years the cycle will start up again.

The less then half of each tax dollar spent being returned does not make sense when considering the whole local film industry. What about caterers providing food to the sets? What about location fees paid to local landowners? What about local training acadamies that were readying local talant to work in the local film industry? These businesses were collecting local money and paying state taxes. What about areas such as the now vacant GM Truck Product Center that were being developed for the local industry. What about those property taxes and the payroll tax of people supporting those ventures?

bartock Guest

The less then half of each tax dollar spent being returned does not make sense when considering the whole local film industry. What about caterers providing food to the sets? What about location fees paid to local landowners? What about local training acadamies that were readying local talant to work in the local film industry? These businesses were collecting local money and paying state taxes. What about areas such as the now vacant GM Truck Product Center that were being developed for the local industry. What about those property taxes and the payroll tax of people supporting those ventures?
    This has been beaten over and over and over and over again on numerous threads and takes into account the direct and indirect so-called economic activity of 6:1 ratio supposedly generated. Do the math, and by even the most generous accounts [[approx. $1 - 1.2 billion generated) taxpayers get less than 50 cents back on each tax dollar literally given away because only 80% has to stay in state. The gist of it is that you could have given that $200 million to any industry - or particularly another, much less transient, industry to come here locally and it would have - at worst - the exact same effect. Neither is sustainable, though.

If you own a hotel and value your rooms at $100 per night, but can only fill them with people who book them at $43 per night on priceline. You are still making $43 per night even if you choose to whine that you are really losing $57 per night. You decide to be really nasty and raise the rates on the people staying there to $75 per night. They refuse and leave, now you are making $0 per night.

bartock Guest

If you own a hotel and value your rooms at $100 per night, but can only fill them with people who book them at $43 per night on priceline. You are still making $43 per night even if you choose to whine that you are really losing $57 per night. You decide to be really nasty and raise the rates on the people staying there to $75 per night. They refuse and leave, now you are making $0 per night.
    OK, that has nothing to do with anything. My goodness it isn't hard to figure out.

If you are a company getting 42% of everything you spend back....as cash....from taxpayers...then you are upset. Understand that ANY industry...ANY industry....ANY industry...ANY industry getting 42% of every dollar they SPEND back as a direct refund would flock to whatever state can provide that carrot. ANY industry. It simply is not sustainable [[to use the buzz choo-choo word here) because no amount of subsequent economic activity can possibly recoup the losses of literally handing back 42% of what is spent. Say you make $50k a year after federal taxes. What if the State said as long as 80% of that $50K is spent in Michigan, the State would give you $21K at the end of the year. Great idea, right! Why doesn't everybody do it? Hmmmm.....

Right so even if it's as you say, you are renting the room out for $67 / night and give the guest a $25 rebate. When you tell them to take a hike you are still making $0 per night instead of $42.

bartock Guest

Right so even if it's as you say, you are renting the room out for $67 / night and give the guest a $25 rebate. When you tell them to take a hike you are still making $0 per night instead of $42.
    No, you really don't get it. Your logic is so wrong I wouldn't even call it twisted. But this has been crushed many times over. Read some of the other threads.

I wouldn't say that my logic was twisted so much as I can recognize accountant double talk when I hear it.

bartock Guest

I wouldn't say that my logic was twisted so much as I can recognize accountant double talk when I hear it.
    apparently you can't...

Ooohhh! Such a zinger!

You won't attack my points raised because you simply don't know how to so you'll attack me. What grade are we in dookie head?

Detroit 187 was the best cop show since NYPD Blue. I enjoyed how they tied in local story lines, like the episode with the grandson of a Purple Gang member and the one with boxers from a local gym. Hell, they even mentioned Banksy in an episode about graffiti artists. Anyone who thinks the show wasn't "Detroit enough" clearly didn't watch many episodes. And they didn't just shoot in the worst areas either, some of the best parts of the city were shown.

As far as how much money on the dollar the tax credits brought in, well, that's subject for debate. A study by Ernst and Young showed they bring in about $3.10 or so for each dollar spent. Snyder just decided to use the study that showed the worst return on investment without questioning the accuracy.

Detroit 187 is awful! a bashing show for everyone. Most people didn't like the criminal elements of conceptual space for its characters. Too dramtic, not even close to Law and Order shows by Fred Wolf. The show lost its appeal to viewers and turn the channels to eye popping crime drama shows like Rizzoli and Isles, Law and Order assorted shows, Memphis Beat, Criminal Minds and much more. ABC can do better than that then to bring a negative TV show about Detroit.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET.

1000 channels and there's nothing on, but the show will go on.

Neda, I miss you so.

There was very little Detroit bashing on the show. In fact, the producers were pretty positive about how the city was portrayed.

But hey, now ABC can run more stupid reality shows because sheep will always tune in to see Trump make a fool out of himself or see a bunch of has beens and B list clowns stumble around the dance floor. After all, its far more entertaining to see Kourtney and Kim slutting around than any critically acclaimed police drama.

I think when the show finished filming , the writing was on the wall as far as viewship goes , not the tax incentives . Networks nowdays if they don't get immediate results with a show its on the block . Look at Chicago Code , never watched it , wanted to but I was busy finishing up shows I did like that were cancelled . So........... why should I get interested in anymore network shows , this is where tv is heading , 1 maybe two seasons and out .

bartock Guest

Ooohhh! Such a zinger!

You won't attack my points raised because you simply don't know how to so you'll attack me. What grade are we in dookie head?
    Oh, Sweetheart, we aren't in dookie head land, dear. You just chose to ignore everything written everywhere and even on these board regarding this subject. The only clever accounting comes from the ass-end of a shit argument. Feel good about yourself with trite bullshit, though.

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm lazy about this and am not going to try to raise the long-since dead arguments from your point of view. There may be someone somewhere still believing it, so go for it. However, I've posted here way more than I probably ever should have, and I wouldn't expect you to know that I certainly admit when I'm short enough of information on something to make an educated opinion.

To say I won't attack your points is absolute stupidity. To say that I'm too lazy to cross-post and link a hundred things that have already been posted and linked and completely put this issue to bed is another. Admittedly, tor whatever reason, the ignorance of positions like your on the credit idea is the bait that I continue to take.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3