Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    It seems as though every TV sitcom these days is based in Chicago or New York.
    Really? I can't think of a single show presently based in Chicago, to say nothing of sitcom. Oprah's left for Cali [[new studios) and NYC [[magazine and new cable network) and the very short-lived Chicago Code was cancelled.

NYC has many sitcoms and other shows, as does obviously LA, but that's always been the case, since the dawn of television. It's hardly newsworthy that these two cities have a television presence.

And I don't think there's much of a relationship between tv shows and regional images. I mean, when Detroit had Martin and Home Improvement, did it really do anything to the national consciousness?

And did anyone outside of Michigan know or care where these shows were actually filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Really? I can't think of a single show presently based in Chicago, to say nothing of sitcom. Oprah's left for Cali [[new studios) and NYC [[magazine and new cable network) and the very short-lived Chicago Code was cancelled.

NYC has many sitcoms and other shows, as does obviously LA, but that's always been the case, since the dawn of television. It's hardly newsworthy that these two cities have a television presence.

And I don't think there's much of a relationship between tv shows and regional images. I mean, when Detroit had Martin and Home Improvement, did it really do anything to the national consciousness?

And did anyone outside of Michigan know or care where these shows were actually filmed?
    Home Improvement and Martin weren't filmed in Michigan. Detroit 1-8-7 was the first network TV series both filmed and set in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Home Improvement and Martin weren't filmed in Michigan. Detroit 1-8-7 was the first network TV series both filmed and set in Detroit.
    Yeah, we know that, but no one else does, so what's the difference?

There is no national consciousness re. the actual filming location of television programs. Therefore, Detroit 1-8-7 gives the same national image [[which is to say, basically none) as a Martin or Home Improvement.

I don't watch much TV, but if a show is based in, say, Cleveland, then that's the image folks have. it doesn't really matter if it's actually being filmed in Studio City, CA or wherever. They just throw in stock photos of downtown Cleveland and that's that.

Yeah, we know that, but no one else does, so what's the difference?

There is no national consciousness re. the actual filming location of television programs. Therefore, Detroit 1-8-7 gives the same national image [[which is to say, basically none) as a Martin or Home Improvement.

I don't watch much TV, but if a show is based in, say, Cleveland, then that's the imagine folks have. it doesn't really matter if it's actually being filmed in Studio City, CA or wherever.
    Anyone who watched the show would have an idea that it's filmed in Detroit since all of the outdoor scenes were filmed on location throughout the Detroit area [[and it being a cop show necessitated a lot of outdoor scenes). It was a completely different set up from HI or Martin. Both were filmed completely on a Hollywood soundstage.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What would Chicago be today without Oprah?
    It would be doing relatively fine I imagine.

I don't think Chicago not having Oprah would leave a huge impact on the city as is.

IMO, you're giving folks way too much credit.

I often watch movies supposedly in LA or NYC, and I can tell they're in Vancouver or somewhere. Or Robocop looks like some blending of Atlanta and Toronto.

But the vast, vast majority of folks don't know, and don't care. They aren't examining each frame super-critically, asking themselves whether we're seeing stock footage of Woodward Ave. or whether they're actually filming here.

And, more important, they don't care. It doesn't matter where Martin was filmed. They generally don't think more or less highly of a city based on sitcom, and they aren't doing research to investigate the exact breakdown of filming locations.

That took care of the only reason I watched ABC. Some media tried saying only the people from Detroit liked it. That sure don't explain the large following it had down here in the south. Guess we needed more crappy reality shows

Tax incentives brought Miami Vice to a rundown south beach back in the eighties they used those funds to rehab some deco apt complexes for shooting the series and started what South Beach is today.I guess it was a nice return on taxpayer investment but it did not happen overnight.

To me 187 was competing against long entrenched other shows,maybe if they could come up with something different.

IMO, you're giving folks way too much credit.

I often watch movies supposedly in LA or NYC, and I can tell they're in Vancouver or somewhere. Or Robocop looks like some blending of Atlanta and Toronto.

But the vast, vast majority of folks don't know, and don't care. They aren't examining each frame super-critically, asking themselves whether we're seeing stock footage of Woodward Ave. or whether they're actually filming here.

And, more important, they don't care. It doesn't matter where Martin was filmed. They generally don't think more or less highly of a city based on sitcom, and they aren't doing research to investigate the exact breakdown of filming locations.
    The vast majority probably aren't analyzing the scenery, but some people are and these are probably the types of people who start tourism trends.

I couldn't make it past the first episode. A seasoned beat cop in Detroit throwing up at the sight of a homicide? Riiight.... Seeing the city on TV was nifty, but, ugh, better writing please.

There is a new Vietnamese restaurant at 13 and Ryan, and the one at 13 and Dequindre has excellent pho.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I doubt it was Detroit. The ratings steadily declined. I watched several episodes, but the show was pretty unwatchable, even from someone who lives in Detroit. The characters were flat and the writing was weak.
    I hardly watch teevee at all. But the few times I watched 187, I thought it was as described by DP: flat characters and weak writing. Sorry. I know a lot of people in Detroit were hoping for it, as was I. Why doesn't someone put together a series with Detroit actors and all Detroit settings and scenes? I mean, with all the morbid fascination of Detroit around the entire world, you'd think a realistic and accurate portrayal of Detroit would knock 'em out. Scenes of city council could be thrown in [[I'm serious), as well as the bridge ramp to nowhere, Delray, Detroit City Airport and surrounding cemetaries, abandoned industrial buildings and railway stations. Detroit has it all if you're speaking unique. Seriously. These are the very things that have brought thousands of young people to Detroit to live and create. Nothing I've said is meant in anyway to be negative. Detroit is what it is. Why not sell it as it is?

I'm a big fan of Holmes on Homes. My only evening to watch teevee is sunday: 60 Minutes, Holmes on Homes, Holmes Home Inspections, Sports Final Edition.

I'm curious. Of those here who did not like Detroit 187, did you like or dislike NYPD Blue?

Bham quoted: I can't think of a single show presently based in Chicago,

I said based in Chicago and New York. We all know that films are shot all over but at least they're getting international exposure because of the setting.

Also, Harpo Studios will still be a major studio for Oprah. Rosie O'Donnells new talk show will be filmed there along with several other projects that Oprah continues to work on.

Shows based in Chicago just off the top of my head...

Life according to Jim
    Oprah
    The Good Wife
    Mike & Molly
    Judge Mathis
    My Boys
    Happy Endings
    Chicago Code- recently canecelled
    ER- long running, recently retired
    Playboy club [[NBC)- currently filmng in the city

I suppose that's not to bad if you're an actor or film/tv industry professional working in Chicago. However, I could be wrong but it seems as though you can get steady work between television and movies. I don't really follow that industry so maybe i'm wrong...

Pretty much every show "based" in Miami has done fairly well:

Miami Vice
    Silk Stalkings
    CSI: Miami
    Burn Notice
    Dexter
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Shows based in Chicago just off the top of my head...

Life according to Jim
    Oprah
    The Good Wife
    Mike & Molly
    Judge Mathis
    My Boys
    Happy Endings
    Chicago Code- recently canecelled
    ER- long running, recently retired
    Playboy club [[NBC)- currently filmng in the city

Then there was Family Matters, Punky Brewster, Perfect Strangers, Good Times, Kenan & Kel, Married with Children, The Steve Harvey Show and Webster.

Except for the transitionary scenes, all of these shows were filmed in Hollywood [[except for Kenan & Kel, which was filmed at Nickelodeon's studios in Orlando).

All of those shows did very well [[4+ seasons). Of course it wasn't the setting that had any impact, they just had good writers/producers and good actors. Martin, Sister Sister and Home Improvement were all successful shows based in Detroit, so we can rule out the possibility of the media having any vendetta with the city or state. Even 8 Simple Rules was doing well until its star [[John Ritter) died from health complications. It just so happened someone who wanted to create a show based in Detroit didn't have a good enough support staff this time around.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-14-11 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Try this if you don't believe me: we don't have very many Vietnamese restaurants in Michigan. In fact I can't think of any......
    Da Lat...... Downtown Ypsilanti, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I thought 187 got much better as the season went on. At the end I was glued.

Im enjoying Justified, a guilty gunslinging pleasure, a kind of Dukes of Hazzard on meth. Southland isnt bad and I believe Breaking Bad is up for another season. None of them have that believability like The Wire did though.
    The Wire is the greatest television show or series ever made. At least that's what they tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg81 View Post
    Da Lat...... Downtown Ypsilanti, for one.
    Their Goi Con[[sp) rolls with the peanut sauce, MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Bangkok 187

Well, we had our year of being Hollywood. I really enjoyed and I am sorry its over.

This is not a good thing or a good day for Detroit. Say what you will about the show or the tax credit. There are worse shows here that will continue on like Hung and Hardcore Pawn.

The film credit may have not made fiscal sense to some bean counter types but it was bringing work and money to the local economy. Axing it without replacing it with some other type of job creator was pure stupidity.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; May-16-11 at 01:12 PM.

Parting words from actor James McDaniels on the front page of today's Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011051...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Parting words from actor James McDaniels on the front page of today's Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011051...xt%7CFRONTPAGE
    Class Act.

As usual, the comments section is full of bitter and hateful people.

Stromberg2

Its been a tough year for shows that are not reality based. Chicago Code which I thought was hands down better than Detroit 1-8-7 was cancelled as well as AMW. If times were different and reality shows weren't so popular I could have seen Detroit 1-8-7 stick around at least for a couple of seasons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast