Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Happy New Year!

Happy new year all!

I hope it is full of building renovations and not so many demolitions :-D

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

L:ike they said; especially FlybyDon. Here's to Saturn getting the heck out of Virgo.

Happy New Year to all!! Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2010!!

Detroit police: No celebratory gunfire this New Year's Eve http://www.freep.com/article/20100101/NEWS01/100101005

I beg to differ. Here's a few minutes I recorded last night from my backyard about a mile outside the city limits:

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...=533931323.wma

It starts about twenty seconds before midnight. There are a few local firecrackers and some screaming neighborhood girls, but the rest of it is all gunfire.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Detroit police: No celebratory gunfire this New Year's Eve http://www.freep.com/article/20100101/NEWS01/100101005

I beg to differ. Here's a few minutes I recorded last night from my backyard about a mile outside the city limits:

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...=533931323.wma

It starts about twenty seconds before midnight. There are a few local firecrackers and some screaming neighborhood girls, but the rest of it is all gunfire.
    Nice try, but I was here in the CBD, and heard nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Nice try, but I was here in the CBD, and heard nothing.
    The article is by Zlati Meyer. I've noticed errors in his reporting in the past. I'm sure I'm not going out on a limb by assuming the DPD really meant that there were no gunfire injuries or damages, and that it was misinterpreted somehow. If they really are claiming there was no gunfire, then they have their head buried in the sand deeper than you do.

I had a similar recording from my HP house. It ran from a quarter hour to midnight to a quarter hour after. I must say the screaming girls give yours an eerie quality.

My fantasy was to rent a 150mm howitzer and blow it off fully charged at midnight with a 75 foot barrel flash, then listen to the momentary silence as everybody put their guns down and let out a collective 'what the fuh...?"

The article says, "No incidents of celebratory gunfire New Year’s Eve were reported in Detroit..." according to police. Not reporting does not equal not happening.

And Happy New Year everybody. May it be our best ever.

My microphone was pointed southwest, taking in sound from the west of Mack and south of Moross. The wind was from the west which helped carry the sound toward me. I haven't been here on NYE for several years, but there was much less automatic gunfire than what I remember in years past.

Happy New Year! Let us bid farewell to the decade of Kwame Kilpatrick and Matt Millen while we pray for better days ahead.

Have a great 2010.

DetroitDad Guest

Really!?

How have I spent five New Years in or around the D and never noticed this!?

I heard nothing!

Kind of disturbing....

Wow, suddenly the 3 shots my roommate heard last night remind me of regional mosquito-bite comparisons. "Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never more guns fired..."

Here's to the upswing! It is getting better.

It's the price of ammunition.... a dollar per round is a bit expensive to just blow into the air.. even for Detroit.

I for one don't blame the DPD for staying inside during this customary mayhem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2